Zander Pictures

A

Andy Davis

Boyz n gurlz,

Doing a big assignment for skool, and i'd like a decent picture/drawing of a Zander to put on the cover

can anyone help ?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Andy,
try:
Here

Here

<a href="http://www.angeltreff.org/geraettechnik/raubfischtechniken/zander_reizen/zander.jpg"target"_blank"Here</a>

Here

Here

Sorted - GM

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Send us your email address and I'll send you a JPEG of a small one if it's any good to you.

A

Andy Davis

Thanks for the help Gents :eek:)

It's a big assigment due in March, and i chose to study Zander, no reason apart from i find them interesting !

so its:
1]where/when introduced
2]food/breading
3]ecological impact

Any thing else ??

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

The Zander is not a native to the British Isles, it originally came from Eastern Europe but is now widespread throughout Germany, Holland and France. In 1878 the Ninth Duke of Bedford introduced 23 Zander into the lakes of Woburn Abbey. They remained localised until 1963 - when 97 were released into the Great Ouse Relief Channel in Norfolk. Since then they have spread slowly across England.

It goes without saying the the Zander, a shoaling fish, is highly adaptable. It thrives in large, slow-flowing fen drains and rivers. But it does not seem to do well in fast-flowing, clear rivers or in shallow waters where the oxygen content is low. Coloured waters and even tidal river stretches (where the salinity is high) produce good Zander. In still waters you can find them during the day in deep water or near drop-offs hiding from the intense light.

What makes the Zander exceptionally efficient hunter is that they sometimes gather in a pack to feed on small fish (usually at dawn, dusk and during the night). The Zander chase after the fish, grabbing them from behind and swallowing them.

Because other species cannot see as well as the Zander in murky water or at night, they have a distinct advantage. They also feed on worms and leeches as well as small fish such as Roach.

Zander usually spawn between April and June. A group gathers over stones or a gravel bed and the mature females dig a hollow in the gravel, lay about one to two million eggs and then guard them until they hatch.

After hatching, the larvae live off their yolk sacs, reaching about 1/4in (6mm) long after one week. When the yolk sac is used up, the young eat plankton and insect larvae. Zander begin feeding on other fish at the age of three months - or when they are about 4in(10cm).

A

Andy Davis

I have read his book, lots of information, some of it out of date now, and it's very badly laid out, which made it hard to read !

P

Phil Hackett

Andy you are right again! Nev did do his PhD on Zander. One of the papers he got out of his thesis appeared in Aquaculture and Fisheries Management October 1985.
The full reference for it is -
Ficklin N.J. and L.G. Lee (1985) A study of the movements of Zander Lucioperca luciopercal., population of two lowland fisheries. Aquaculture and Fisheries Management vol 16, No 4. 337-395