Sorry Carp Angler!

S

Steve Watson

I started with sorry because you must be getting sick of boilie making questions but I read the other thread and found it brilliant. You obviously have alot of skill in this area.

If you could help me I would be grateful of your time and patients.

My problem is simple, whenever I make boilies they never go hard? They are sort of very firm but rubbery, why I follow the instructions to the letter although the instructions never mention boiling time or how to dry them?

I boil them for about 10 - 15mins.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I'm sure Rik will be spot on with some advice. But going back years ago when i mixed me own, i remember that once out the pan i used to lay em out on a cloth and turn them every few minutes until well dry, then leave them for a few hours.
Bloody hell 10-15 minutes boiling, i used to boil mine for around 45 seconds. 1 kilo of Ready Mix works a treat!!!

RIK...............

D

Dave Rothery

I take it your using a bought mix-if not, whats the ingredients?
If its bought then its probably that your not mixing in enough dry mix. If you use a sausage gun, you should find that you need to squeeze quite hard for it to come out, and your arm will hurt after. If rolling by hand, you shouldn't get any stuck to your hand whilst rolling.
You could be using too much liquid/not enough egg. Try using some egg albumin or similar.
If your boiling the baits for more than a couple of minutes, you can destroy all the goodness in it (boil a carrot for 20 mins-see what i mean!)

S

Steve Watson

Thanks for the help so far, Dave it is a bought mix mate. I feel a t*** boiling the stuff for 10mins but there were NO instructions lads, I should have asked before playing lads.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Never mind mate. You'll know next time round. Now where's Rik, probably fishing!

C

Carp Angler

Sorry lads, been busy.
Good pointers from everyone.
Check your fluid levels and drastically cut down your boiling time.

Give us an idea of the base mix as well.

Another boilie article

S

Steve Watson

The base mix is called the freeze and contains bird seed and a good quality carp ground bait. Sorry I cannot to very specific but I didn't make it lads.

Also the entire mix is very, very simple which I thought was a good idea for a first timer like me lads. Just Cranberry flavouring and Super Sweet.

Thanks for your help!

D

Dave Rothery

Just twigged - carp company?
If so it will(should) be a decent mix-its probably not enough powder to eggs.
how many eggs/how much flavour are you using?

S

Steve Watson

Yes your right (I should have started this thread as a quiz, well done mate!) it is the Carp Company, is it ok then?

I followed the few instructions that were supplied: 5 eggs per 0.5Kg. I only bought 1Kg to see what it was like, so I have one more go out of my first bag.

How long should I leave them to air dry guys?

S

Steve Watson

I was going to try there Cream Milk mix, only because I don't think many people would choose it? Most people go for Active8 and Assin8, I have used these and they are excellent but I like to try new things and experiment a bit.

Anyone tried any of the Carp Companys mixes?

D

Dave Rothery

Not used them but i know a lot that have, and many of those still do. icelandic red (fishmeal) and seed of the weed (hemp, strangely enuff!) were/are probably the most popular, but if you put any half decent bait on a hungry carps nose, chances are they'll eat it!

S

Steve Watson

Carp Angler, Dave thanks lads for all your help. The articles you pointed me to are excellent and last night I through away my first go and started again. Guess what guys, it seems to have worked much better.

The boilies roll properly now and I am currently air drying them in the airing cupboard.

Just to say once again thanks lads!

S

Steve Watson

Oh by the way I boiled them for 1 minute this time and not the 15 like last time!

I also took Carp Angler advice and I trebbled the flavour, which was Forest Fruit and funnily enough when mixed in was not to strong.