Dead bait lifebelts

S

Stuart Wilson

I'm don't doubt that this may work well but anyone who cut up a mouse mat and dropped the bits in the street could be done for littering.

I'm affraid I would do exeactly the same to anyone who chucked the bits into a pond or river. I don't like any sort of 'pop up' for this reason.

S

Stuart Bullard

Should be on the Predator forum.

I accept what you say, and broadly agree with your sentiments, however I think Mark stressed the "peace of mind" aspect as to letting this stuff go astray. Perhaps he can re-assure you?

M

Mark Williams

I can only say that the same mousemat has provided me with lifebelts for a couple of years, and I've still got half a dozen. Mostly I just lose them, rather than them coming off the bait. I did address that point in my article - I suggested hooking them on or wiring them to the trace. But that said, I don't bother, and I don't lose many.
I also mentioned that I used to stuff baits with polystyrene, and I never had to take my own - it's bloody everywhere, and that isn't anglers' litter.

C

Chris Bishop

This was the first original thing I've read about popping baits up in ages. Surely nicking a hook into the jacket - as per Mark's picture - means it's almost certain to stay on the trace.

And is a tiny ring of bouyant material really going to do that much harm in the scheme of things if it does come off..?

S

Stuart Wilson

That's the whole point about litter, each bit is insignificant on its own, but taken together it adds up to a lot.

P

Paul Williams

I'm sure that common sense prevails amongst most of us Stuart......i hate litter too but i think the problem here is easy to solve as the lads say......but those bags of crap stuffed into bushes and trees aint so easy to stop it seems? thats where we should really be looking.

mick kirkland

Reaction score
I think there great and work a treat,I wrap the foam round the deadbait and secure it with a band of pole elastic(pole elastic bands are great for stupidly big chunks of meat too).

paul temple

Reaction score
i think it is a great idea keep up the good work mate.
look at it this way what happens when you lose a rig lure float ect ???