The Finer Points of Winter Fishing

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Nice article big boy, especially got me finking about the line strengths again. Best I adapt m rigs for our 3 day trip in December mate. Unfortunately, both Warren and Cake-ole wanna come.

C

Cakey

No you invited me ,you said for f*ck sake dont leave me with that Warren on my own.

Nice one Rik ,I was more interested in hook sizes,what do you think I would get away with with popped up sweetcorn, no snags etc, in the drennan boilie hook range ?

C

Carp Angler

2 or 3 grains on a 10 would seem fine to me Caker, as they have quite a wide bend.
Although they wouldn't look out of place with a size 8.

D

Dave Rothery

i nearly always use a lump of yellow solar pop-up foam with corn/maize as i finf it helps to balance the (size 6 or 8) hook. i put it on last as it resists the other (bloody nuisance!!) species. squeeze it in the juice+it soaks loads up

C

Cakey

I bought some look-a-like maize pop up stuff that dont pop up so I soon went back the Solar stuff which pops up 4 pieces and the hook with no problems.

D

Dave Rothery

Valid question though-can a carp(or any fish) see that well that they can tell the difference between a cube of yellow foam and a grain of foam?

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Can they tell the difference?
This could get heavy cos if you think about it, how do Carp know that Maize is Maize or Corn is Corn?, get my drift.

I've always liked the idea of usng something ridiculous, in the knowledge that for a Carp to inspect it, it has to pick it up, and if the rig is working that should be game over.

C

Cakey

Ive never seen mr carp walking down a country lane looking at the corn fields so he cant possibly tell the difference between corn and foam by looking .
Or can he ??

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Carp do have good eyesight. And in most fish (thats why at times you see them 'eyeing' the bait, if you can see them)the sharpest vision occurs when objects are at a right angle to the eye.
But i'm sure they inspect it on a variety of things.Sight/taste/weight maybe. I've had them take fag butts.

W

But going back, i doubt they would actually be able to tell the difference between a cubed piece of foam and a piece of corn in sight alone. I have a job sometimes!

Rik?

C

Cakey

Thats my point Gaunty they dont know what sweetcorn or a fag butt etc is so they have to go for smell(which you forgot)and taste.
Also due to the positioning of carps eyes they are blind within 5 inches of your bait, which is why they slurp at baits on the top.

W

Didn't forget, just waiting for a clever sod to spot it!
These ole carp resemble you Cakey, often found in the corner, slurping and blind as a bat. Plasma installer my arse!

Run Cakey run, your buzzers going .

A

andrew jackson

This thread has gone of at a interesting angle. I have often wondered how much the eye sight of the carp, dictate the methods that work. For example many southern anglers swear by pop ups, yet it is the experience of my freinds and I, that they are a poor second best to bottom baits on most northern waters. Could this because many southern waters are gin clear ex gravel workings, and the carp have the luxury of feeding by sight. The oppisite is true of most norther waters, they tend to be silty and very murky with lots of suspended solids. Could it be that carp in these silty meres and pits have to rely mainly on chemoreception to locate food?

C

Cakey

Oi Gaunty wait until Dec ,we will see .
putting your money where your gob is ???

If Stu and Rik let us go that is , although I hear you have found a venue that you are pre baiting now.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Rik's got other ideas on venue Cakey, and if we decide to let you play in our sad-pit then we'll let you know - wahaaaaa!