Stirring up a debate again

S

Stuart Bullard

.....and by this I mean writing good articles in CF.

None of your "teaching to suck eggs stuff", but a good reasoned description about what I believe is personal preferences.

Even if you take away Gary's arguments about trout water piking being natural (or not), I say "so what". If some one likes a particular challenge, has fish welfare at the heart of what he/she does (which he does) and enjoys it, why argue?

No one will convince me offal is nice, I just dont like it. And there are many more analogies.

Ho hum, had my say, but once again Gary, good article, and some nice pictures.....

As for that Zander and GM, which one was which??

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm the good looking one with no teeth and no fins.

P

Paul Williams

I ain't read it yet, whats Barney been saying? trout water pike....pis* easy, one of those short 6ft yanky rods we used to buy for 10/6d as kids....a few lumps of plastic, wood or metal and anchor up as close to Eric as possible!.....i've got em sussed! :)........now gravel pit pike theres a real challenge! and no it's got nothing to do with the fact i'm struggling on one!

D

Dave Silvers

10/6d.......... steady on Paul

Yeah! why did they always cost 10'n'6.

Mine was yellow with a green handle, used to tie a clothes peg onto the end of the line and go down the garden and practice casting.

Barney .... not read the article yet but I will and promise to comment.

P

Paul Williams

No i aint as old as you Ron.....but one of our local shops sold Cycles, models in plastic and balsa, toys and fishing tackle and as Dave said most things were 10/6 or at least it seems that way!......solid glass they were with plastic bait casting handles and what looked like cut of safety pins for rings....they were always advertised in DC comics too along with about 100 rubber frogs worms and fish, problem was the address was in the USA and seemed like a world away then! (mid to late 60's)the price was in dollars but i bet it translated to 10/6!!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
A lot of expensive tackle was 9/11 1/2. That's 9 shillings and elevenpence halfpenny for young 'uns.

Or five bob or half a crown for middle range stuff.

Cheap stuff was a tanner or thrippence.

R

Ron Clay

My first fixed spool reel, bought by my dad for Christmas cost 42/6d

It was an Intrepid. I had really arrived.

The fishing ticket on our local lake was 6d for adults and 3d for people under 16.

How we used to dodge paying the ticket was classic.

R

Ron Clay

When we saw the MOB (Miserable Old Ba....d) coming up the track we used the chuck our rods and other gear behind the bushes next to the water and then sit talking about anything other than fishing.

He used to pass us by with the usual mumbles, grumbles and murmours. Fortunately the old ba....d was as deaf as a coot and blind as a bat.

P

Paul Williams

Ron,
Shouldn't that read MOYB?......you surely missed "Yorkshire" out! ;)
Graham,
It must have been cheaper up't North!...mind you, you are a little older than me! ;)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Not much and you'd never believe it by looking at us. What did that barman say to me at Penn's Hall when you were buying the odd drink 'cos I'd forgotten my wallet? "Is that your dad?"

P

Paul Williams

It was that pair of bouncy i mean bouyouncy things in the pool that aged me.....that and the many walks i had to the bar!!!!

G

gary knowles

Stuart,

Glad you liked it, far too much 'how to do' out there and not enough people nailing their colours to the mast...scared of upsetting I suppose !

I have (do), and Eric and I, are giving a talk, in Glasgow next Saturday, in a club with a 3.00am bar on the very subject (and others)....should be an interesting evening.

all welcome !

S

Stuart Bullard

Gary, after seeing your ability to take drink earlier this year you had better start writing your obituary then!!

I worked in Glasgow for a year, cracking place but nearly ended up in AA's.

Good luck!

R

Ron Clay

Actually Brummie that lake was in Notts.(only just)
So he was a MONB I guess.

D

Dave Silvers

Gary
Just read it.
Some excellent points, I agree with what you say about knockers but how anybody can say that such vast areas of water are easy is beyond me, personally I find large waters intimidating, and wouldn't know where to start.
Also your comments about trout waters being open to all suprised me, I had always held the view that they were were quite exclusive.

Regards from a MONB.

G

gary knowles

Dave,

Thanks.

Large waters are not too intimidating if you start to narrow down the areas that you can expect to find fish. Take a look at the 'Passion for Pike' articles i did on this site to explain what i mean.

You are right, exclusivity of trout waters really are a major misconception.

Cheers

Gary