Badgers and bums

P

Phil Hatton

A whisper on the family grapevine informs me that I may be the recipient of some Badger gear this crimbo.Namely a chair and some luggage.Will my nearest and dearest be spending wisely or blowing their dosh.OPINIONS PLEASE.

S

Shrek

I hope not as I've sent my letter to Santa asking for a Badger chair too. They got a good write up in IYCF this month.

C

Carp Angler

Mark Williams reviewed chairs in this weeks AT and the Badger chair scored very highly.

A lot of people slate Badger gear, but it seems to be no nonsense, get what you pay for stuff.
A bit like Ron Thompson and Okuma, they're not pretentious and don't pretend the gear is better than it is.

The people who slate it are just brand name prostitutes.

P

Paul Williams

"Brand name prostitutes" .....you ain't half getting a posh talker Rik!.....i really LOLed on that one!

A

Alan Roe

Phil what chair are you after? other than the obvious one you can sit on response!
Do you wnat a light one for a roving approach on rivers if so the JRC classic is being advertised in this weeks AM at ?39.99 by J&K tackle this is a superb strong lightweight chair I have had one for years and I used to weigh nearly as much as a certain well known carp angler!!

D

Dave Rothery

Brand name prostitutes? didnt someone say he wouldn't wear army surplus cos he's a tackle tart?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Tarts do it for free prostitutes are paid to say it's great. :eek:)

P

Phil Hatton

Alan,what I'd like is a recliner but not one of those 'mini bedchair' types.Due to my unfortunate habit of going fishing straight from a night shift I often fall asleep even during a short session,so what I need is something more comfy than my old Fox

R

Ryan Whalesby

Just bought a All Rounder rod, 1 1/4lb. A ruck bag and a stalking belt.

To be honest I was surprised. I couldnt fault it, addmittedly its no frills, but The action of the rod is ideal for light specimen fishing ie tench,bream small carp.

I have heard a lot of people slate Badger products, it would be interesting to see if these people have actually had any badger tackle?

It boils down to what you can afford, and what you want from it. Badger falls into the economy end of the market, but I believe they make all/ most of their stuff, which helps keep costs down.

If in doubt try a small order first, then if it doesnt live up to expectations it's not a major problem.

The only real fault was the postage, I paid for next day, but it still took three days!

A

Alan Roe

Phil have a very close look at the Fishrite one its nice and light for it's type though it's ?70

A

Alan Roe

Ryan as you say some of the badger gear is good I have a couple of items that I am happy with.
Where you are wrong is that badger don't make anything they import the lot from China hence the low cost many other companies do the same but don't advertise the fact and many use the same suppliers as badger.
The problem for most people with badger products is that you rarely see them in the shops so it is hard to make an informed choice at the time of purchase.

R

Ryan Whalesby

Sorry Alan, you're probably right, I was sure that I read it in one of their adverts, but it was probably a different firm. All the adverts look the same sometimes!!

I agree that their products are rarely seen in the shops, it's a bit of a gamble buying by post/ web sometimes when you have no experience of the firm. I would imagine that this is the reason for using a well known, reputable face for people to identify with, ie Des Taylor.(Although I'm not too sure about the gun to the head pose on the web site convincing any body of his sanity!)

I must admit I normally like to see the product before I buy, especially if it is a more expensive item or one which is open to user interpretation ie Rods. One persons fast tapered rod is another's broom handle!!

Do badger ever have stands at any of the angling shows/ exebitions?

C

Carp Angler

Badger, through Des Taylor, said they would give trade accounts to shops so that they could start to stock their stuff.
As I've mentioned before, repeated messages to his answer phone do not get a response.
If my local shops experience is the same as many others, then its no suprise that their gear is not readily available from retail outlets.

S

stu black

Although we've got a few local shops, only 1 does a decent stock of carp gear, Morgans in Oswestry. It stocks quite a lot of badger gear and I've bought a few items, a rig wallet, a buzzer bar holder and a bedchair all of which I rate highly. The chair was actuallty bought for when my girlfriend comes with me but its lighter than mine so i use it when i go on my own now.

T

Tony O'dell

Have quite a bit of Badger gear now....one piece thermal suit..one piece waterproof oversuit....6 Badger Black Shadow Carp rods...1 Badger Excel Recliner chair..2 Stalker bags...2 Compaq bags.....12 foot 3 rod rod bag......to be honest i cant fault any of these items...quality is very good..as is price.......but have heard there lures are a bit ropey....so majority of gear is great...but a minority of items not so good.....

D

Daz Price

I dont know if it was badger`s stand at chatsworth angling fair but i did buy a pole of badgers make for my son there, and i use it it as a whip reguly as its spot on for small carp close encounters.

G

gary knowles

I agree with Alan, before you buy, check out the 'fishrite' chair. I had a good look at one this week, very light, comfortable but pretty robust as well...