centre pin reels--- where do they all go?

flightliner

Reaction score
Forgive the question as i know that centre pin reels must have been discussed many times on FM over the years, but it always strikes me as rather odd that so many are on the market these days and are sold in large quantities, but when i am by the waterside --mainly rivers i seldom if ever see any angler using one. Are they bought by collectors, is it a regional thing, or do people buy them and find them more difficult/less efficient to use than a fixed spool reel?

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I have 2 center pins, both not been used in years, maybe 10 plus. Don't get chance to fish rivers these days. Great for fishing the margins in lakes, but why take a center pin when a fixspool will do and also it allows you to fish at distance if needs be.
Now how do I do a Willis cast?

Reaction score
I used mine for at least half of the John Ledger memorial on the Idle. It was a joy to use. Why even the fish decided not to feed and just sat back and looked on in pleasure at a centrepin in action!!!

bobbyf77

Reaction score
Ill have to have a sort out in the summer, some of them are very rare. Ill also have a sort out of a couple of mitchells

Regards

Mitchellman

Old Nick

Reaction score
You could also ask how often do you see people trotting rivers?

I have just sold two, and oddly there was a lot of interest from Canadian buyers! so maybe they all go there!

Last edited:

bobbyf77

Reaction score
You could also ask how often do you see people trotting rivers?

Now thats a definate no down our neck of the woods.

I think pin fishing died long ago with the introduction of full bail reels and there is only a niche market for pins

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
You guys keep thinking that way and leave the rivers to me and my pins! You wouldn't like it anyway!

BarryC

Reaction score
No rivers down here in Cornwall but I have 2 pins.
One is a mordex merlin used regularly for surface fishing the margins for carp. Just strip a couple of handfulls of line from the reel and flick out floating crust. Much better at close range than a fixed spool as the bait does'nt have to pull line from the spool.
The other is a Speedia that is great used on the many small farm ponds I fish down here. Ime usually fishing no more than a rod length out and the reel just feels right on my light daiwa match rod.
So if you have got a pin give it a try you might be surprised how easy it realy is.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I still see a few pin anglers down my local rivers, I will be using mine this weekend, as chub are the best prospect for me on the Colne given the conditions. Can't say I don't have the occasional hassle with it ,but for trotting a lump of flake, the pin scores if I get it right.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I own 13 and have two Lythes on order.....I know it's a bit silly really when I could manage adequatley with one or two reels. I actually use all of them including my pride and joy....a pretty much mint allcocks 1915 aerial. I still use my fixed spool reels and my closed faced reels for situations where they suite more than the pins. I think most pins are bought tried out, disliked, then either sold on or stuck in the back of a drawer or cuboard, that's why there are so many old pins in such good nick. If they'd been used a lot for such a long time I reckon they have become pretty worn out.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I will use a pin over a fixed spool reel on rivers for trotting every time, the best bit of kit for stick float fishing.

Great to use on lakes when close in. The advantage of a pin for trotting is you don't have a pick up point for the bail arm, your line is direct, so when you strike you don't then have to turn the handle to close the bail arm.

There isn't an angler who hasn't lost a fish when he has turned the handle, and in that split second of slack line waiting for the bail arm to flip over, the fish is lost.

I have a few pins, and often go with two rods, both with pins on them.

If i am not using a pin, i am using a Mitchell 300 or Match, and yes I have shimano's etc etc.

Nigel Connor

Reaction score
The Canadians use them for trotting for Steelhead trout(i.e migratory rainbows).Now that's something I'd like to try!

Will always use the pin for my river float work unless there is insufficient flow.

bobbyf77

Reaction score
. The advantage of a pin for trotting is you don't have a pick up point for the bail arm, your line is direct, so when you strike you don't then have to turn the handle to close the bail.

Thats where the Mitchell half bail arms are good with the PUM kit;bp

Old Nick

Reaction score
If they'd been used a lot for such a long time I reckon they have become pretty worn out.

Should a good quality pin wear out though? for true centre pins (my preference now) I thought the more use they got the better they become as the pin and the drum blend together.

Seen some really doggy ones on ebay, clearly not used for years, but others look nice and clean and are apparently free running which would lead me to believe they were being used quite frequently

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If using an open faced reel for trotting then I strike first, by simply trapping the line on the spool with my finger, then manually pull the bail arm back over no prob's and no missed fish. I have to say the pin is my preferred reel for trotting but at the end of the day it's a personal choice.

stravic

Reaction score
I use mine and now also a relative has one, have seen two in use on a lake the fishermen at that time were margin fishing for Tench, and doing OK.Both using the J W Youngs Purist.