Barrie Rickards? Angling

K

Kevan Farmer

Well done Barrie. Yet another very well written and thought provoking article. I'll keep this post brief as I feel that I would merely be raking over the coals of what Barrie has already stated. What I will add is this. We, as anglers, need to be aware of the real danger to our sport/pastime. It is not from the likes of PETA - though I do not dismiss the danger of that organisation, we are lucky in that they usually shoot themselves in the foot - no, it is from the hidden 'sleepers' coming up through the ranks of the likes of the RSPCA. I have my own thoughts on the RSPCA and they are not printable here - I have had dealings with them in the past where they do not want to be bothered with genuine animal cruelty cases - but the general public are brainwashed into thinking the RSPCA are a good society. Maybe they were at their inception but now they are nothing but a bloated administrative monster. Much like a lot of other organistions and societies. Strong words about a godd old British institution but I can back my thoughts up. Anyway, this is not meant to bash the RSPCA but to make people aware that there are probably other sleepers who are anti angling in other organisations. So perhaps in this respect I disagree with Barries call to anglers who are also RSPCA members to resign their membership. Don't, stay in and fight from within. I don't know what the election policy is but surely members have a vote? Use it against anti anglers.

Now, other organisations. what about the RSPB? I know of a few anglers who members of this society. They can do the same if the RSPB becomes vehemenently anti angling - possible.

The EU interference in angling is worrying. Who are they responsible to? Who do they ultimately answer to? I suspect it is some faceless one in Brussels who has never touched a fishing rod in his/her life. Now that is frightening.

Kevan

ps. it ran a little longer than I intended :)

S

Stuart Bullard

If that is brief heaven help your long ones!!

Kevin, its the first I have heard of EU intervention, which is worrying.

However, it may be the first time that we will be at one with the French. I can assure you, having spent many, many weeks in France, that if they try to tamper with their fishing, the country would be grid locked in seconds.

Viva la France!!

R

Ron Clay

Both Barrie's article and Kevan's comments are indeed very thought provoking.

There is no doubt that organisations such as the RSPCA and RSPB are becoming vehicles for the chattering classes. But how do you change such beaurocratic beasts as the RSPCA especially with a person like that at the helm, and a woman to boot?

K

Kevan Farmer

Sorry Stuart I really did only intend for it to be a short piece....I got carried away :)))

Ron. Maybe we as anglers - we in general of course - could join these organisations and change them from within ourselves? There must be some form of mechanism in place for the very members to express either pleasure or distaste at the way an orgainisation is run and its direction. This is the way it works with our own specific angling organisations. I'll ask my friends who are RSPB members how it works.

Kevan

F

Fred Bonney

Although I read the interview with the RSPCA women,I refrained from comment through this medium,because I just wondered how many anglers are members,not many I think.
My thoughts have always been much the same as Kevan's that they,the RSPCA,are very good at their emergency work for animals,but very little else.I just wonder how much of their funding does actually go on animal welfare compared to their political propaganda.
As a fully paid up member of the RSPB,I see the good works they do,I am sure there are many anglers on their membership books.
I for one,however,would give up my membership and change my will,if they began any anti angling propagander.

J

John Pleasance

Fred, I already gave up my RSPB membership over the lead/swans issue many moons ago.

Do we have to add misogyny to Ron's crimes as well now ?

P

Phil Hatton

During my brief working career in Germany I attempted to do little fishing.Ther was a BFPO not too far from my site and they had a club of sorts open to all.However the rules and regs imposed by the Green tendancy within the govt' made it so much of a pain to get into that I sacked the idea.WE do not need EU interferance in OUR sport,it'll kill us off faster than anything else I can think of.
Nice piece Barrie

EsoxBlades

Reaction score
Dear Barrie and all

Thought provoking indeed, I quite agree with all that. I don't suppose anyone has thought about a national action plan for anglers have they? It is likley that any EU intervention will be directed through Defra (Formerly Defra)Rural Affairs 'Sustainable development' banner and not an Executive Agency such as EA. Now, if you think the RSPCA and RSPB are beauracratic just take a look at the track record here; the cloak and dagger side of the hunting bill. Remember that old phrase of 'saying one thing, and doing another', well try a few samples from yesterdays use of House time from the Rural Affairs Minister and test them against fishing.
"The onus is now on the people who want to undertake any activity to show that they can meet the tests of utility and cruelty."
and
"It is spelt out in our manifesto commitment: ?we have no intention whatsoever of placing restrictions on the sports of angling and shooting?."

We, anglers, should be thinking well ahead of these historic rants, firstly we would face the cruelty test (you can bet that the RSPCA will make sure we would)and secondly what is written in one manifesto will surely be unwritten in the next.

I'm a conservationisist who wants a sustainable environment probably as much if not more than the next man, also I want to fish in it! If we fail to plan we may plan to fail.

On a lighter note, I caught a beautiful 7.5 Zed this season, my first.