Considering new reels for Christmas?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I walked into my local tackle store (Ashford Tackle) on Saturday and they shoved the new Shimano XT’s. A classic sale for them as they knew I would love them from the off. They must’ve thought, we’re wait for Stuart, stick one in his hand just knowing he won’t be able to put it down again!. Well, they were right, what a piece of kit!!!! Oscillation never seen before where retrieve just lays the line side by side and the engineering is to die for. The XT’s are big pit reels and I’ve been told by Big Rik that these are the version that won the Japanese casting compos, but have now been modified and the cost has been bought down to suit the consumer (although still extremely expensive). Over the next few weeks I would have had a chance to field test them and will review my findings. I haven’t been able to find many links online about them as they have just come out and many of the tackle shops are not selling them yet. As I say, they’re not cheap, (OUCH – RRP: ?390) but should definitely be considered as an option and certainly compared against any other big pit reel available on the market as they quite simply knock the socks off them. If you get stuck give Ray or Terry a call at Ashford Tackle on 01795 530160, they’re really good guys and if you say you were speaking to me about them they’ll give you a discount you can happily live with. Oh one more thing, The weight of these reels are unbelievable with only 20 ounces heavier than GTE’s. A must see/feel for the serious tackle tart!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The full name of the model Stuart's referring to is Shimano Aero Technium XT.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Have you seen/felt them Graham? Unbelievable! You should be the one to review them mate, wink wink!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I saw them and had a spin of the handle at the trade show and yes, I wish I could afford them! I'll look forward to receiving your review Stuart, Shimano only loan you that kind of expensive gear for review.

C

Carp Angler

P38 of todays Angling Times has a review by some hackneyed old reporter on these reels.

R

Roto Fryer

i can asume that you have tested the diawa reels then stuart as you are so sure these are the best?

D

Dave Rothery

must be good if they're that expensive.....look at nutra/nash baits

C

Carp Angler

Here
Can't believe they've got them at 220 a chuck.
They cost the shop ?200 with full discount, that's if they're not imported.

John punchey Bevan

Reaction score
Hi little stu ,big rik walley and all have you made a definat date for cas-en-lac yet as bookings flying in cant hold forever.
email me

C

Cakey

just spoke to Little Stu and he asked me to tell you the 3rd of June and he will talk to you tomorrow as he is fishing tonight.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Be good to get the crew back out again,

Stu, Bully, Wik, Cakes, Me, Rotodullestboringfartfacegreencardnohoper

Happy dayyyyyyyyyyys