Polaroids

T

Tom Sexton

I was wondering whether it is possible to wear polarising sunglasses over normal glasses. I'm sure that I saw Matt Hayes with his wraparound glasses being worn over normal glasses in one of his progs on Sky. Thanx.

R

Ron Clay

I normally wear clip-overs, but some day when I have the money I will get a set of prescription poleroids..... ;0) dream on!!!

W

Wag

Specsavers do very good double polarised prescription lenses for ?65 extra, but sometimes they are available free with a pair of normal specs. I got a pair last year when my normal specs needed changing, and they make a huge difference - miles better than clip-ons which I've been using for years.

steve smith

Reaction score
You can get wraprounds that also stop glare coming in from the side which I have used.
I have seen them in the gimmick brochures you get in the Sunday mags.

J

Jon Moores

Try Optilabs. Very reasonable and better than clip ons. They are mail order, but may fit lenses into your frames, so you could get them put in old frames that you know fit well.

D

Dave Silvers

I wear polaroids over my glasses and it works quite well.
I fancy the idea of prescription polariods, but at 300 quid for varifocals it might be a long time.

G

Gerry Castles

You have to check out Optilabs in Croydon. First class service, great glasses, full wrap-around, crush proof and I'm on my second pair with a new prescription. Any other solution is going to be half baked. Glasses over glasses, clip-ons et al are second rate in comparison.
Some combinations keep out glare directly in front, some manage to keep it out from the sides too, but polaroid glasses for me are about fish spotting and that's where two layers of glass or more commonly plastic definitely do not work. ?100 is a lot for a pair of glasses, but the difference it makes to me is worth it.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=1708>Optilabs Review</a>

B

Birds Nest

Get eyesight like mine, then start looking at high index lenese... then you'll know what expensive is... and thats just for normal lenses!!!!

M

Mark Williams

I am a fellow specoid, but I ditched all that nonsense years ago by wearing contact menses. If you haven't tried a pair in ther last couple of years, try them again - they're much, much less itchy these days and excellent as long as you haven't got an astigmatism (which isn't a new Shimano rod, BTW). Even polarising glass huff up and get all smeary in the rain. Contacts+polaroid bins is cheaper by miles than prescription polaroids.
Another small point; a mate of mine has just has his short eyesight lasered back to perfection - took three hours including the waiting, cheap as chips, and he hasn't looked back. Mind you, if they dialed in too much laser I guess it would be all too easy to look back.. well, I thought it was funny.

G

Gerry Castles

Presumably there's a small red dot in the middle of your forehead every time he looks
at you. Or am I watching too much TV ?