bait flavouring

N

Nick King

i`ve often used cake colouring from my local supermarket to dye sweet corn etc..but have never tried the many cake flavourings on the shelf as well.with flavours such as whisky/rum/almond coconut etc and all at cheaper prices than tackle shop brought flavours,i`d of thought that anglers would be climbing over each other to clear shop shelves<lol>has any one here ever tried any and what were your results.....
cheers...nick

B

Bob Watson

I've used banana flavour in bread paste, it worked for me, I've even used coffee.The thing is you never know if normal bread paste would have worked anyway. Supermarket flavours were used well before commercially produced flavours were on the tackle shop shelves.
Custard powder, curry powder, etc.
Cheap and cheerful.

E

EC

We used vanilla and cochineal in groundbait in Ireland a while ago, certainly didnt do any harm but like all flavourings you cant say exactly what effect it has had.

Have used cochineal on corn, thats 'worked'!

R

ryan sands

yes yes yes they all work dont beleive me then try them what have you gotta lose

K

Kevan Farmer

Well....for years I tried sweetcorn - from the age of about 14 and I'm nearly 40 now - with no success at all. Not a nibble, not a even a line bite. I tried it hair rigged, float fished , frozen and fresh - out of the tin. I had lost count of the different waters I tried it on from the Severn to local lakes and canals. This year I decided I would bite the bullet and try yet again - despite having 0% confidence in it. This time however I tried 'flavouring' it. Well, sort of. I put a couple of good spoonfulls of dark muscavado sugar into the equivalent of a pint bait box full of sweetcorn. Well the sugar is in the cake making section of the supermarket. It didn't set the world on fire but I caught on it. ;-)))))))) So, now I have confidence in not only flavoured baits but sweetcorn also.

Kevan

S

stu black

Wow- Kevan, I believe you; but I cant believe you never caught on sweetcorn, Its an amazing bait! (hope that makes sense)

There again (comparitively) I've hardly ever caught any fish on boilies.

K

Kevan Farmer

Stu. It's absolutely true mate. But, because I know that it is a good bait I persevered and finally it paid off. It's one of those things, I didn't have confidence so I think that may have had something to do with it. Perhaps my presentation was off or I didn't pay enough attention to the my chosen indicator. Anyway, now I have always got some of 'special' corn ready and frozen. Now then boilies...I've yet to feel the need to use them. I will one day but at the moment I like pastes and meat - and of course the corn. I also have some chick peas that are flavoured in a number of different ways, bovril being one.

One day I will go and get myself a pack of tutti-frutti boilies just to give them a go :)))

A thought. Ever tried a liquer flavoured bread paste? Something like Tia Maria or Malibu?

Kevan

C

Cakey

I love this topic .
if you flavour sweetcorn with strawberry for e.g. your now fishing a sweetcorn shaped strawberry and not sweetcorn !

S

stu black

Amazing isn't it? Absolutely no logical explanation for why some folk can catch on one bait yet others cant; swap baits and the roles reverse.

Fish are weird!

B

Brian Lewis

Anglers can be pretty weird as well!

Was that lateral thinking Cakey? As it happens, if you colour it red you'll lose a lot! LOL

S

stu black

I still cant touch Malibu...and it was over 10 years ago now...

R

Rodney Wrestt

So Cakey.....how do you really think about Rotto, quit sitting on the fence. :O)

Kevan,
I remember watching John Wilson years ago using sweetcorn and he always used either molasas or betain to sweeten it so you are in a good place with your adding of the sugars, and the Malibu paste could be a good choice as coconut is a regular addition to roach groundbaits.