Cane Rods - Value required

G

Gary Knowles

A friend of mine has asked me to try and value some cane rods for him. They belonged to his father in law and have been gathering dust in the attic. Details as follows:

12/13ft float (?) called an Allcocks Wizard. Sold by A Fielding, 91 Chapel St., Leigh. It is three piece but comes with a spare top section with a screw tip for swing tipping (making it 4 piece). The butt section in cylindrical with the rest of the rod hexagonal.

Dennis Pye 10ft Pike Rod made by R Chapman & co, Ware Herts. 2 piece hexagonal in section

8ft 2 piece fly rod, there is some writing on the butt but it is difficult to read.

All rods are in excellent condition, original whippings, varnished, no marks hardly, original rod bags, etc.

I had a play with them last night, they all have an excellent action, and I really fancy trying the Dennis Pye one with my Mitchell 300 for a pike or two

Thanks in advance

Gary

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

?180 for the Dennis Pye Pike rod.

R

Richard Drayson

Looks like that Allcocks Wizard has a whole cane butt then Gary. Preferable, I understand to a split cane butt.
Don't know about the Dennis Pye rod although Chapman & Co was a well established maker.
Have a look at this site here
Lots of info on rods, reels and antique tackle in general.

G

Gary Knowles

Warren,

No, just guessed it from looking at it in the pub last night.

Cheers Richard I'll take a look

K

Kevan Farmer

The Wizard could well fetch ?150 up to ?300 in an auction - not eBay I hasten to add. It is the more desirable full cane butt. The others I'm not too sure of other than the Pye rod is a known make. Be careful of how they are stored now. Try to keep them in a dry but cool - not cold - place with a constant temperature. Changes in humidity and temperature can have adverse effects on old cane rods. Strange I know as they meant to be used by water in weathers. It's our modern central heating that they don't like.

Kevan

G

Gerry Castles

Check the Wizard for a black oval label on the butt. In very good nick with the original rod bag undamaged, all of the whippings and guides in 100% original condition and no serious shakes or sets in the cane a dealer would be looking for ?700 plus. For an ordinary Wizard dealers prices would be ?200 up, depending on age and condition. The Chapman Dennis Pye in good condition as above ?175-200. Since both rods are collectable but not exactly rare and you are not a dealer, reckon on getting close to 60% of dealers prices. The Dennis Pye rod will always do well, given the resurgence of interest in pike fishing plus all things retro. The fly rod unless it bears the legend Hardy, Allcocks, Farlowe or more unlikely one of the US manufacturers like an early Orvis, is likely to be worth ?20-30. It might be one of the 'b'list makers in which case it may have value to a 'one make' collector, but rarely more than ?50. Hundreds of thousands of little rods like these were made in Japan particularly just after the war and they were not well made. They were usually recognised by oriental writing, names like 'green dragon' and lots of trashy labels. If recognise any of the letters in the name or can send me a digi picture I might be able to tell you more.

P

Paul Williams

"Resurgance of interest in pike fishing plus all things retro".........you are on your way McWallet!!
What a nice little collection to start a family heirloom stash....they can only increase in value if looked after.

C

Chris Bishop

The Pye rod would probably fetch more than that in an auction in Norfolk. One or two of Pye's fish have sold for a fair old bit over the years, despite condition (he had them mounted on the wall of his chippy in Norwich...)