Fishing with Braid -Safe??

Carp Stalker

Reaction score
Hello to all. I am new to this site and I look forward to chatting to you all. My question is - How safe is braid as I would like to change from mono but I do not want to start cutting up carp or any other fish. Also, rumour has it that braid may be banned at some venues. Is this true??

D

Dave Rothery

Braid is banned at many venues. So are boilies, pellets, 3 rods, bivvies, etc,etc.
Just goes to show some rules aren't all that well thought out!
If you use braid, use a long length of leadcore/tubing. i use it with 20ft or so of flourocarbon as a leader, to give it some shock absorbtion under the rod tip, but also i know i will leave a maximum of 20 ft(still too much!) of line on a rig if i snapped off, rather than some length inbetween the rod tip and rig. (same applies to mono really) the disadvantage of braid is that it takes much longer to break down, so any line left in the lake stays there longer.

D

Dave Rothery

the leadcore/tubing is to protect the fishes flanks. mono can still lift scales/cut as well

Carp Stalker

Reaction score
Thanks Dave for that info. Do you really think that braid is banned at many venues?? If so, I don't think I will bother unless I get a couple of spare spools for my Shimano reels. Thinking about it, it might be a good idea!! Wet Nets!!!!!!!

S

Stuart Bullard

R U talking about changing to braid main line or just the hook link?

I am not that experienced at carp fishing, but read a lot, and nothing I have seen convinces me that there are real benefits of fishing braid as a main line. In fact, to date I haven't really considered it for any fishing. Perhaps if lure fishing, but I dont do that.

Dave - I dont understand your point about the flurocarbon as a leader. Why? Do you mean to ensure there is some stretch available to absorb lunges etc? If so I would have thought fluro was as "brittle" in terms of stretch as braid? Or have I got that wrong?

Carp Stalker

Reaction score
Hi Stuart. Yes I want to change from mono to braid as my main line. Braid is suppose to give you that instant feel for any bites and also to be able to feel the fish when you catch one. A feeling that one could not get using mono. So they say!

S

Stuart Bullard

Typically what methods are you employing for your carp fishing?

I am still pretty sure that braid may be a wrong steer here, but I am sure the real experts (enter Rik and the others??) could justify this much better.

From my experience, the baitrunner whizzing off is all the feel you need!! Even with stalking I cant see that it would give you that much benefit.

D

Dave Rothery

I use it for better indication and better feel when playing fish
yep, stretch to absorb lunges, but also to ensure that im going to snap the mainline within 20ft of the fish, not just somewhere between me and the fish (potentially 140yds)
I use flouro as it lays flatter on the lake bed than mono(being heavier) Haven't had it snap on me whilst plaing a fish, i'll post the brand when i get home!
Also, haven't changed my mainline for 3 yrs!
just take the last 10yds off every now and then, and check for nicks

Cat Master

Reaction score
Carp Stalker I changed to braid for my main line and to be honest it was a nightmare mate. To be fair I only used the braid for a few sessions but that was enough.

It seems to want to tangle all the time, if you do get a hook tangle just cut it off as you will never untie it!

D

Dave Rothery

I wouldn't use it for stalking, not enough give at short range
Thanks for the vote of confidence stu - i guess 24 yrs of fishing,18yrs of carp fishing and 6yrs on the braid doesnt make me experienced enuff ;)

Carp Stalker

Reaction score
Ok guys - you win! I will continue to fish with my mono. Thanks for your comments. Thanks to you Cat Master matey!!!!!

K

Kevan Farmer

One of the big advantages - for me personally - is that I can use a higher breaking strain with braid but still stay at the same line diameter. The plus points of this are that it lessens the chance of the line parting and it also does not break down like normal mono in sunlight. I haven't seen any decay rates for mono but what happens if you forget to change a spool one year? I feel that - going back to my first point here - if you stay with the same diameter then you shouldn't have too much trouble with damage to the fish, if any. If you do go down the braid route then use a rod with a slightly softer action to counter the loss of elasticity. I use an old Bruce & Walker glass rod for braid work and it is perfect.

Kevan

D

Dave Rothery

You cant overload the spool like you can with mono, and you have to make sure it winds on tight.
each to their own i guess

D

Dave Rothery

I guess thats the point Stu-how many fish have "got away" with it before you get a screamer? i had a 28 out of manor a month or so ago which gave 2 bleeps using a 1 1/2 ounce lead 20 yds out. would i have got that with mono?
i use 13ft 3lb bruce ashby's, andb, i've lost 3 fish since may, and 2 of those were in weed. the other was a "run from hell" that just kept going and going and going, till the hook pulled.
Carp stalker - you have to ask yourself why to change. if you feel the need for extra sensitivity, try it on one rod first, ignore what everyone says, and form your own conclusion. for everyone who says no, someone will say yes.

C

Carp Angler

Carp Stalker?
Cat Master?
Both joined together with no personal details.
One and the same person?

D

Dave Rothery

Thought had gone thru my mind - look at st johns post

Carp Stalker

Reaction score
It's me again. I came over from another forum which is closed now. It closed yesterday and having been a member for quite a while, I really am going to miss asking for advice and giving some. Catmaster recommended me to try this forum and today I signed on as a new member. I had a good read before I joined and I must admit, you guys seemed to be pretty helpful - so here I am. Dave's comments about trying one reel with braid is a good idea, one which I will try this weekend when I go to Oxford Linear. Don't be suspicious, welcome new members. Thanks for your comments to this question, it has helped. Wet Nets!!

S

Stuart Bullard

Rik, you should have been in the police force!

Despite your reservations, I want to know your views on braid. I am not that bothered about it all, just interested.