halibut pelletts

Neil Bennett

Reaction score
Bought some halibut pelletts today and tonight I was drilling the holes in the pelletts for tomorrows fishing. Most of them was spliting. How do I stop it spliting. I have used less pressure when drilling. I'm pulling my hair out aaaaaaaaaugh

A

andrew jackson

I just use a fine nut drill and take it easy, I have had one or two split on me but most of them are fine? Try bringing the drill out regulary and clean it as they tend to clog, other than that I am at a loss.

C

carpin chris

Andy's right. you have to take your time and keep cleaning the drill out. As daft as it seems I find the best way is to drill a load out at a time at home using a dremel or cordless drill with a very small drill bit.

David Preston

Reaction score
Cakey's right, but if you do want to drill your own they are less likely to split straight out of a new packet.

C

Carp Angler

Drill them from the sides and not from end to end, you still have to do it slowly and carefully though.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Super glue them onto an elastic band and leave a tag to pass the hook or hair through.

Neil Bennett

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. It worked what andy said. I was drilling them last night for todays fishing.

Gollum Gollum

Reaction score
This might be my imagination but I found it better drilling for a couple of mm on the harder, domed end, just to get a hole started. Then swap 'round to drill right through from the flatter, softer end. That seems to cut down the split rate. Then, as others said, it's a case of letting the drill do the work, applying minimum pressure, cleaning off the bit regularly and using fresh pellets where possible.

J

Jim Hinchley

If you can get access to an pillar drill you can do a kilo of 22mm baits in 15 mins.
It might not pass H & S rules but simply set the pillar drill going and holding the pellet in your fingers push it up the drill. It sounds dangerous but i havent injured myself doing it. I have drilled pellets as small as 8mm like this ok.
You can feel if the pellet is going to split and you get a few but not many.

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

I use a nut drill to do mine. Between me, you and anyone else you wanna tell, if any split i hair rig them too they can give you a big edge on hard waters!!! give it a go!!