One for the Experts!!!!!

Carp Stalker

Reaction score
My mate went carp fishing on Sunday. Used 10lb line with size 10 hook. Bait was single maggot on hook, no hair rig. Fished for 4 hours - nothing - not even a bite. He was only fishing 2 rod lengths out. After 4 hours, changed to 4lb line and caught 4 carp, biggest 9lbs. Now experts, your answer please as to why that 4lb line made a difference or maybe something else made the difference??

T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

Lots of variables to consider.
What was the weather?
What time of day?
Was the water clear?
IMHO he probably caught at the warmest part of the day when the carp had been patrolling. It,s likely that the carp were in a small shoal considering the size of the largest and happened upon his bait.
It would be daft to discount the change in line especially as you dont state the type. 9lb will always be more visible than 4lb if its the same type/brand.
It could well be a combination of factors.
This may be a load of sh*te but its ths best I can come up with!!

Carp Stalker

Reaction score
It's a start Tony. The weather was calm and sunny, starting catching about 3pm. The water was murky. Same bait ie single maggot.

S

Sascha Welsch

First of all a single maggot on a size 10 hook to 10lb line would look completely unnatural. The relationship between bait and hook size is far too extreme. Did he change his hook size when he changed to 4lb line? If not I can only assume that the lighter line helped the bait/hook to look more natural than previously.

D

Dave Rothery

10lb line, size 10 hook and single maggot doesn't look like a particularly balanced presentation to me - does the venue need 10lb line if the fish are relativley small? (or were these "little" ones for the venue?)

S

Sascha Welsch

PS - even though a single maggot on a size 10 is still way out of proportion. He would have been far better off with a 16/18 hook (strongish if carp fishing obviously) for the size of carp available to him or fishing 4/5 maggots on the size 10.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Must agree, me finks when he changed the line he changed the hook size. A single maggot on a size ten hook is out of proportion and changing the line from 10lb to 4lb or even 10lb to 20lb shouldn't of made a difference if the presentation was as stated.

C

Cakey

oi Dennis get off ,it says one for the experts.
soMust agree, me finks when he changed the line he changed the hook size. A single maggot on a size ten hook is out of proportion and changing the line from 10lb to 4lb or even 10lb to 20lb shouldn't of made a difference if the presentation was as stated.

M

Mike Lee

Single maggot on a 10 hook?
Why did your other forum pack in then carp stalker?
Ian, spot on mate!