Club scraps under-12 fees

C

Chris Bishop

What a great move. I wonder how many other clubs will follow suit.

E

EC

I am not so sure Chris! Kids, in my experience, tend not to value something as much, when it is free.

Warrington AA do first class free tuition (this includes non members also), now I believe this is valued, but they still charge a fee to be a junior member (?5 I think).

I also feel that in the days of ?50-80 trainers being the norm for some kids, its not out of order asking for a contribution of sorts.

Far better I believe for clubs to make a real commitment to junior angling by laying on FREE regular coaching/tuition, but the percentage of clubs that actually do this is I believe minimal.

P

Paul Williams

I agree that kids have different values today but the problem is in my opinion the fact that they are excluded from so much of the adult world that they don't form interests outside their own worlds......i think it is a good idea to give free membership but we as adults have to be prepared to accept them and help them and in some walks it ain't happening......i have even been turned away from a water this season because i had my lad with me!!!!

D

David Will

If the club are not getting junior members then they have all to gain and nothing to lose. If the club want to do it then what is the problem.I would suggest that most 12 year olds do not have to pay for their tickets anyway so it is the parents who are getting a break and the opportunity of a free bit of entertainment for their children.This makes a refreshing change.

David Preston

Reaction score
My association (Wigan & District) dropped its membership for juniors to ?2 some years back and we have seen a steady increase in the numbers of junior tickets sold as a result. By still issuing membership cards to juniors (even at a nominal fee), it at least means that we can assess numbers sold.

P

Paul Scattergood

As a Waa bailiff it is our club's policy to actively encourage youngsters into the sport. As Eddie say's our junior's are probably the best coached yougster's in the country with Stuart Conroy & brother Steve passing on their knowledge. All aspects of the sport are catered for with the junior club night well attended every thursday. Our match squads fish all over the country & the club provides the transport / match fee's from its own coffer's. Not bad for a fiver don't you think.

Tony Burgess

Reaction score
A problem i've found since coming back to fishing is this.IT'S THE BLOODY PARENTS!
"can I go fishing with me mates mum"?
"Sure,I'll drop you off at 7 then pick you up at 5"
They just do not care.A lot of these kids have a cup of maggots between them,have very little,or no,tuition and are bored after an hour.Then there running round the place playing the who can chuck the 4oz lead the furthest and pissing every one else off!
Personally I can see that free fishing for kids is a good idea(I do have six)but only when accompanied by an adult.
After all we are not a free baby sitting service!

T

Titus Anarsus

A bit behind the times. Our club stopped charging kids under 12 six years ago.

So long as there with an adult member.

B

Big Rik

I can take kids under 12 for free on my Ringwood ticket.

Bloody great, took my two today for a couple of hours.
They absolutely love it.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Eddy, Paul, and Tony, each make valid points.
It isn't just up to us anglers, parents have a part to play aswell.

J

John Hepworth

With my club Juniors under 16 years of age can fish for free if with a parent or grandparent, as can a spouse of a member. The under 11's can't join. I do have concerns about youngsters being out alone by water, especially after sunset.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

There is one club that lets pensioners fish free --provided they are accompanied by their parents ......

W

Wolfman Woody

"as can a spouse of a member"

When I first read that I thought it said "as can a Scouse member". I thought "That's inviting danger having all the Liverpudlians coming up for free!"

J

John Hepworth

My club couln't afford to let pensioners fish for free, our income would be almost zero!

We already have THREE (Scousers) in the C.S.G, and that's THREE too many.
Sorry Steve, Kev and Paul, not true really. Your an asset to the group, can always be relied on to obtain almost anything.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why should we let elderly people in our clubs for free, so they can go swanning off to the States to see their fancy women.