Winter warmers!

M

Mick Smith

Any one out there with any tips for keeping warm in cold weather?
My main problem is with cold hands as I suffer from poor circulation. I find fule stick hand warmers best, but they are forever going out and I spend more time relighting them than fishing.
So any tips for keeping warm in general and hands in particular would be appreciated.

P

Phil Heaton

Stay in bed, sod the fishing until June 2003.
Other than that I have found that by keeping my body warm with long sleeved and legged thermal underwear (M & S are good)and layers of suitable clothing topped off with a windproof coat, warm hat and a pair of Skeetex boots, my hands hav'nt suffered as much. Fingerless gloves can be worn, only removing them to take a fish from the landing net, then drying your hands before re-fitting the gloves.
I think that this is due to such a small area being open to the cold, your blood temperature is maintained better, slowing down the chilling effect.

B

Barry Kneller

A good way to keep your hands warm when it's wet is to wear a pair of those thin rubber gloves (like the surgeons use). This stops your hands getting wet & they feel much warmer. Brilliant if you're using a pole on a wet cold day. They don't interfere too much with feel & you can put on bait etc.

F

Fred Bonney

I think,as Phil said, that if you wear a good fit(tight,but not too tight) long sleeve thermal and 'overcoat(s)',the hands stay warm without the need for gloves.

S

Stuart Bullard

Stay off booze for a start!! The old adage of a tot of whisky is now proven to have the reverse effect, apart from the initial warming effect.

Has anyone used those neoprene gloves with a couple of finger holes. They always look cumbersome to me.

D

David Bruce

Stuart
I use the neoprene gloves and find them OK provided you are not making frequent tackle changes. Shop around - prices are very variable and donot match the quality. None are perfect but most are reasonably good.

P

Phil Heaton

I used to wear them, but when I used them my hands were constantly wet and felt warmer than just wet hands, that fooled me for a while into thinking it was an improvement. I find it is better to keep my hands dry as much as possible, this greatly reduces the wind-chill factor.

S

Sean Meeghan

I use the fingerless neoprenesand they are fine for most tasks. One thing to watch for is that some of them have little grip bobbles on the palm and I don't think that they are very fish friendly.

J

john conway

Fortunately I’m blessed with plenty of “long Johns” ,fleeces and woolly hats left over form my caving and fell rescue days. What you need are plenty of layers with a good wind/waterproof jacket and leggings plus thermal wellies, there’s plenty on the market. Note, if your bothered about smelling a bit, then don’t use man made fibres, us wool or cotton next to the skin. Beware of one piece set ups for long cold sessions, unless you get a buzz out of completely stripping off when nature calls!!!! I always carry a towel for may hands then sit with them in my pocket, or better still, loosen off my sleeve cuffs and stick each hand up a cuff. If you have to touch leger then it’s got to be neoprene mittens like Sean said.

S

Stuart Bullard

Useful feedback, thanks. I think its a case of getting some and trying them in different situations.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Keith Arthur recommends rubbing in a layer of vasilene......onto the hands....no really he does. It creates a barrier between the skin and the air, a bit like long distance swimmers 'greasing up'.

J

john conway

That’s OK Rodney provided the fish like the taste of Vaseline? And I suppose it would stop friction burns for watching too many kylie minogue videos

steve smith

Reaction score
You can get hand warmers from boots that you recharge by boiling in the saucepan.
I have found that 2 will last you for a 5 hour session

J

Jim Hinchley

Barbour do some wicked neoprene gloves with cuts in the thumb and first 2 fingers along with retaining velcro.
They are @ ?20 a pair but i have found them much more flexible and easier to get on with than other cheaper neoprene gloves.
And they keep my hands well warm.

A

Andrew Thomas

I get terrible trouble with cold hands and often don't go out fishing in the winter because of it. Neoprenes I've tried but without much success.They don't seem to insulate particularly well. Best I've found is gore-tex ski mittens containing handwarmers, preferably chemical, but these interfere with the fishing somewhat. Never tried the surgical glove method but I think I know where to get some!

D

Dave Silvers

As John said, wear layers, it's common knowledge in the hiking/walking world.
Base layer - Thermal
Mid layer - Fleece
Outer Layer - Wind proof and breathable

Thats the accepted advice.
Also if the body is not warm enough it automatically reduces the blood supply to the extremeties first. It's a survival thing, warm blood is saved for the vital organs. Thats why it's always fingers and toes that feel the cold first.
Try a pair of thermal gloves under your chosen gloves, it worked for me.
Thermal gloves are very thin material, it's another cut on the layer theme.

K

Kevan Farmer

Best clothing I have found is silk long johns coupled with a silk vest/t-shirt. On top of this a Sundridge Sleepskin system suit - one or two piece. Then the usual over suit. The beauty of these undergarments is that they are light and do not restrict your movement. That is something to think about. If you are forcible restricted in movement then your blood is not flowing as quick which means you get colder. The extremities are always the first to suffer, ie. fingers and toes.

I got my silk stuff from Barretts of Feckenham store in Wolverhampton. Not cheap but not as pricey as you might think. I think my long johns were about ?18 and worth every penny.

Kevan

R

Richard Drayson

John Conway and Dave Silvers have hit the nail on the head... layers.
One thing though, do those thermal 'fishing' suits negate the need to use layers underneath?