unknown waters

chris hall

Reaction score
does anyone who lives near or travels in the area of the salford kearsley turn off (junction 16 )of the m60.
the reason I ask is because near this junction there are a number off lakes and ponds either side of the motorway ,one is behind the pilkingtons factory.
Are they fishable,as I have only caught a glimpse of someone fishing one of the smaller ponds thet looked like it had a weir at one end.If so how could I gain access to them,legally of coarse.they look like they might be good places to fish .thanks loads again to answering my last questions .

P

Phil Hackett

Are these the ones in Deth Valley?
If so the one ones on the right heading west, were vast sewage tanks of the sewage works at one time. The works has gone now but the concrete tanks are still there.

Not sure about the ones on the left but may have the same origin.

chris hall

Reaction score
I dont know the area phil,but I do know they are near a river, quite a large looking one and the manchester to preston rail line runs near also the irwell i think the river is.Is te river irwell fishable round this area,as ive fished it in central manchester a couple of times.

P

Phil Hackett

As I posted above it is the same place and yes its the R.Irwell.

P

Phil Hackett

The river around this area is better fishing than in the centre of town, more species. That said, like all the fishing in the rivers around Manchester it is patchy. My advice is to go and reckie it without any tackle and talk to any angler you see fishing and or look for the warn swims if there's no one about.

P

Phil Hackett

I’m almost certain that there’s a public right of way that runs the full length of the Irwell Valley, know as the Irwell Way.

D

Dave Silvers

Chris B, I've just checked out Streetmap, very useful.

Try also www.multimap.com they do the O.S. maps and in addition when you've closed in on your chosen area you can get an ariel photgraph of it, brilliant for sussing out new areas.

stuart smith 8

Reaction score
theres a small pond next to the motorway at philips park hall known as the kingfisher, fished it a few time full of small roach and perch and a few crusian carp this fits the discription at the start of the thread

Morespiders

Reaction score
Mr Hackett was a young man when he replied, he's a bad one now./forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

The bad one

Reaction score
Young, old, bad, good the infos still the same /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif