Cookers

S

Stewart Bloor

I've just bought a new stove. I toyed for a while between gas and fuel, eventually settling for gas. It's also one that lights without matches, so was a real plus point as far as I was concerned.
What do you all use, and why did you choose that particular type. Any regrets?

A

andrew jackson

I have been using Coleman duel fuel stoves, after changing from gas about eight years ago. Even though it is almost impossible to cook a good fried egg, I just love em. Mates of mine have had reliabilty problems with them, mainly the generator. Touch wood, mine have been fine. Keeping the pressure up with regular pumps appears to be the trick. Gas is much safer and user friendly, but nothing I have seen, boils a kettle quite like a coleman.
Both gas and fuel stoves have their merits, but if in doubt, I belive you have done the right thing to go with the gas.

M

Malcolm Bason

I am not qualified to say which I prefer as I only recently purchased my first - which is gas. Its a very small affair, and i cant even remember what its called, but just big enough for a one litre capacity kettle. The butane gas canister (plein air) just screws in the base and away I go. The gas canister is self sealing so it can be unscrewed for ease/convenience of storage, etc.

A

Alan Roe

Gas stoves have come on a fair way since the 'camping gaz' stoves made by Bluet of my youth. Modern ones allow you to change the cylinder when they run out at the most inconvenient moments as they do!
With the older designs you had to take apart the whole stove not a lot of fun when they are hot!.
I have a gas stove and a Coleman sportster dual fuel job which I only run on petrol.
The Coleman has the advantages that the fuel is much cheaper than gas and that I can always ensure that it has been filled before I leave home, thus I never run out of fuel. It has to be the most efficient producer of heat of any type of stove and for boiling a kettle or stir-frying on there is nothing to compare with it for sheer speed.
The downside is that a little care needs to be used when lighting the thing keeping your face well away from it or you will loose your eyebrows! the other major issue is that your hands do get tainted with petrol vapour which I find puts fish off others may find differently.
I deal with this by wearing a pair of Marigold rubber gloves when priming ,lighting and releasing excess air out after using the stove.
I will admit that the sight of a six foot 18 stone yeti clad in waders wearing vivid yellow rubber gloves has got me the occasional curious glance from passers by but strangely nobody has ever plucked up the courage to ask me why!!
The Gas stove is essentially a table top job with electronic ignition with easily replaceable cartridges its an item I got for review a while ago if Graham wants a copy of the review I can let him have one its a nice thing more suited to picnicers than anglers especially in winter when butane becomes rather less efficient.
If I was going to make the switch I would go for one of the newer breed of propane/butane stoves which retain greater efficiency in colder weather.
Cheers
Alan

A

Andy Davis

Alan, next time you put petrol in the car take some plastic gloves from the petrol station, they are free and normally located near the diesel pumps !

P

Paul Williams

Sedge, we all know that you can be very slightly accident prone at times, so personally i think you have made the right choice, i don't think your bivvy would last long with a mixture of petrol and matches at your disposal!!! teehee!!

R

Ron Clay

After 3 years of putting up with a Coleman, I decided to sling it and get a nice clean reliable gas cooker. No more stink, pumping and tainted fingers

R

Rob Brownfield

I have used both Colemans fuel stoves and Epi gas stoves, and I would go for the Epi everytime. Colemans have covered my hands, my bivvie, my rucksack and my car in petrol/fuel, have nearly set me on fire, and generally been a pain in the arse.
Epi is clean, light, efficient, and if u use the special low temp gas, can be used in very cold temperatures. I used them whilst on exercise in Norway with no problems, and you will find most soldiers carry one with them!!!

Quick question, why do fisherman buy army surplus sleeping bags, when soldiers buy civvy sleeping bags...

R

Rob Brownfield

The only thing a Heaxamine stove is good for is sniffing the fuel blocks...lol!!!

S

Stewart Bloor

Paul, your comments about me and petrol and bivvies and so on were the EXACT words that Mrs Sedge spoke on the subject...

P

Paul Williams

Debby is obviousley gifted with great and wonderous vision too!!!!

A

Alan Cooper

I always used gas until last year when I bought a Coleman sportster. I think it's a great stove - fast and powerful. And, like Alan, I just use unleaded petrol. I suppose the bees' knees would be one of those Primus "any fuel" Himalaya stoves. Has any one got one?

J

Jonathan Faro

I use an old gas burner.On the sleeping bags I don't get whrer your oming from. I used to be in the Army cadets adn use both ultra lightweight modern sleeping bags adn the old army ones. Admitidly there bulky but there sooooooo warm and comfortable adn cheap if you know where to go.

Jon

P

Paul Williams

Jonathan, if the old type MOD bags get wet in the field they STAY wet and you would probably die in a real situation!!
Modern materials are far better than old down!!

S

Stewart Bloor

And believe me Jonathan, Paul should know what he's talking about. He used to be in the army....the Salvation Army...

C

Carp Angler

That's why he carries that tamborine in his van.......

All together now.....Kumbaya......

R

Ron Clay

Talking of cookers, I must describe to you the greatest most legendary cooker of all time. It was a primus no 1 I think, manufactured in Sweden ca 1939 and was responsible for the capture of numerous twenty pound pike including my first.
What would happen is that the stove would be fired up at about 11.00 in the morning to cook a chip fryer full of chips and onions. At that time one of us would get a run resulting in hot fat, and chips and onions all over the place. Often the primus would end up in the lake and had to be dragged out with trebles or a landing net. I spent ten days of my life eating food cooked in old worm tins on that primus and whenever it was fired up you would get a bite.
Who owned it? Why. the legendary Ray Webb of course.

R

Rob Brownfield

Believe me, the old 58 pattern sleeping bag, the one fox based there original designs on, was crap. The down used to pack either side of as you slept, and once wet, that was it.
The new bag system, which comes with a compression sack and gortex bag is a million times better, until you try and put it in your Bergen!!!. Its huge!!

Bags made by Snugpak, Softie etc, which u can buy from Army Surplus stores are infinetly better. The reason these bags are sold in olive green etc is because so many troops by them. Walk round a sanger in Northern Island and you wont see an issue bag!

This is from 3 years experience with The Royal Green Jackets, and 7 years with the Gordon Higlanders...hehe

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Ron, think yourself lucky, knowing Ray it's a wonder the worms weren't still in the tins!