Digital Photography (again)

C

Carp Angler

I thought I'd start a new thread on this after reading the 8 page special in this weeks Anglers Mail.

In it they state that last weeks issue (w/e 14th Dec) was the first in AM history to have a digital front cover shot.

Who was going to change to digital when that happened?
Terry Comerford come on down......
bottom post

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Yep, read it last night (read it - I'm in it. It's a big special about digital photography and the internet) and one of the Mail's photographers (not the one who took the digital cover shot) said he would be totally digital in less than two years. Now where have I heard that before?

Also interesting was that only the cover photographer and the AM art desk knew it was a digital shot and the editorial team throughout IPC didn't realise it until the truth was revealed this week.

As Carp Angler said, 'Terry Comerford, Come on Down!' bottom post

PS, Terry, if you want any advice on going digital, don't hesitate to ask.

C

Cakey

Just brought the new Olympus 5 million pixels and f1.8 lens .
I had the Nikons and the Canons 35mm cameras but this beats the lot as far as I concerned.
Terry Comerford ,come on down !

ps nikon 995 for sale ,cheap to you Terry.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Cakey, if that's the Olympus C5050 then you've made an excellent choice. Best digi compact on the market I reckon. I had the C4040 before it, with the same f1.8 lens.

A

Alan (brush) Broomhead

Terry......

Don't you just hate it when that happens?? ;-)

C

Carp Angler

I think most of us knew it was inevitable Alan.
They were just waiting for the right shot to come in.

T

Terry Comerford

Ok,Ok, we all have to be big enough to admit we are wrong sometimes,and I will admit digital technology is advancing far quicker than I thought it would.
Some of the postings were toungue in cheek as I have been scanning transparencies and sending the digital files to various publications for over two years now.
There is however still a long way to go till digi cameras produce 12 million pixel quality that film does, at present the digi that does is ?6999.
Nice to see keeping the thread hot for a few weeks led to increased interest.
As long as others and I include myself, learnt from the thread,thats what forums are all about.
I hope we all get digi compacts in our Xmas stockings,BUT......take plenty of cash with you for the batteries!

S

Stuart Bullard

Loads of places to plug in your charger on the bank Rik!

T

Terry Comerford

The current in the river?
Varta Batteries. (Is that the correct spelling Rik?
When your Zander fishing never use a three pin plug!(Or lure, or rig). Sorry Bob.
Just a thought, I am expecting all the pics on the Face It section to change on the 25th as everyone has a play with thier new digi cameras.

D

Dave Rothery

6999?? 5700 for the eos 1ds now. not quite as cheap as a film camera i know, but 1300 in two months!

D

Dave Rothery

I'll never change my face it face, ask anyone thats seen it!

P

Paul Tyer

Digital cameras have come a long way in a short time and must admit I cannot remember the last time I used film.
The Fuji S2 pro produces a 12 million pixel image and has a starting price of around ?1700 without a lens. I currently use the Fuji S1 pro which has a 6.3 million pixel chip and for all the commercial work I do it has been out performing film for 2 years now. If you want to see some types of work that I cover see the Lightimages link on the shopping section of the website.

S

Stuart Bullard

Terry, have you been reading too many Christmas cracker jokes?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Paul's Lightimages website is well worth a look at if you want to see some great images taken with a digital camera:

Just click here:<a href=http://www.lightimages.co.uk/>Lightimages</a>.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I haven't had a problem with digi camera batteries for ages. My last before one camera took ordinary as well rechargeable AA's and it was no problem to take a spare set with me. And my current camera uses a rechargeable Li-ion battery that will take about 500 high quality shots (with average flash use) before it needs a recharge.

The days when digi's ate batteries unreasonably are long gone.

C

Cakey

Graham
it is the 5050 Ive just got for xmas.
dont know about battery consumption at the mo but if the nikon is anything to go by then it should be good ,I took over a 1000 pics in france on the original battery and an after market one from the digital store which cost ?25 now ( about ?40 when i got mine ).
My mate has got the minolta dyna7 and that eats batteries so read reports first !
This is where I go for digital camera reviews