Tackle Workshop

P

Paul Williams

Great tip about marking the barb with tippex, i must confess to having to hold the hook up to the light nowadays to spot the barb!!
My traces are made much the same but i use a twidling stick, also many years ago Terry Eustace told me to heat the section of wire that was to be twisted, it did make the wire Terry sold then twist easier and i never had a problem, however i can't get that wire anymore (can't even remember what it was, i had an unmarked bulk spool) what are your views on applying heat to the wire??

P

Paul Williams

I know, i know,....ive put this on the carp bit!!! Sorry Budgie but it's so easily done, and i can't even tell the crap lads to ignore it and go back and put it right!!

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Oooh errr I feel like a small school boy creeping into the girls changing rooms!But I dont suppose I will get one!Yes heard about this warming up before twisting lark.As you said it must depend on the type of wire used.Never had too do it my self.

P

Philip Inzani

Yes I like the tippex idea as well.
I thought the idea of heating the wire with a flame was with multistrand wire to stop the strands separating? I must admit that I have not had to do it but that could be due to the wire I have been using. I used to use crimps but now I twist and I am alot happier with that.

One point you guys might want to comment on, it with regard to a sliding top treble. I have seen this suggested in the past to make it easier/quicker to position the hooks in different size baits but I am not entirly happy with the idea of it. Have you had any experience of it ?

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

I was going to bring that up in the article but forgot Paul! I personally never use a sliding treble as I would much prefer to "custom" build my traces to the exact requirements.I believe that using a sliding/adjustable treble just ends up weakening the wire. Also in all fairness I do not use a great varriation in bait sizes.Several sizes of trace and different size of hooks cover all of my needs.

P

Paul Williams

I find that some wires twist far easier and neater if heated, i have even twisted wonder wire after heating, but i have to admit i am not as confident with it as my old wire, i am worried in case i reduce it's durability.
I too played about with sliding trebles and gave them up, all they do is curl and kink the wire, if you use say mainly trout lives then to a certain extent you can standardise your traces, but for mixed lives (Chub to Bream) i prefer to have a selection of varying sizes.

P

Paul Williams

PS, Hey fellas, the carp forum has never had it so good!!

M

Martin Quadling

Morning all,i have serious reservations about heating trace wire for any reason because of the changes made to its physical properties ie the hardness/temper put into the material by the manufacturer,by changing these the tensile strength/malleability will be compromised and therefore its ability to perform the alloted task(that sounds bloody pompous for a first post doesnt it?.)

Quaddie

P

Paul Williams

Morning Quaddie, welcome to FM, you just caught me on the way out but had to reply, I had exactly the same reservations as you about heating wire, that was over 20yrs ago, i have never had a trace go because it had been heated (neither have friends) BUT that was on a particular brand so we obviously became confident in doing it with that make, now that i can't get that brand i again had reservations, after messing about with others i still have no problems.
I have tried the old fence post test and all that happens is that the twists tighten on the first pull, after that the hooks usually straighten or snap.
It does help make neat easier traces with some wires but i accept other wires may not need it.

M

Martin Quadling

Thank you for that paul,with Budgies instructions and your assurances i think i will be tempted to spin some traces up for pull tests on the tense-ometer(yes that is the correct name)at work.

Quaddie

P

Paul Williams

Quaddie, i would be very interested in your results so if you do get round to it come back and let us know. cheers.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Quaddie I am in two minds about "tests"! I have read much about people carrying out tests to see if crimped traces are stronger than twisted or vice versa.Most of what I have read says that crimped are stronger.All mine and my mates experiences (whilst fishing) have shown the opposite to their results ie twisted is stronger) I think a lot depends on how the traces are made ie the quality of matirials and workmanship.The other thing that I often wonder is their validity.Does it matter if one is different to another on a test bed or is the fact that it never fails during actual fishing more important? To make this more clear an example would be does it matter if the breaking strain of a trace is 20lb or 22lb if you are using 15lb line any way?As I have said before I have read a lot of "psudo science" over the years!

M

Martin Quadling

Budgie,i agree that "dead" tests may have no real-world parallels ,i am more interested in WHERE the trace will break : has there been any local degradation of the materal.If the breakage is always in the same place then this could be problematic(but if this is greater than the main-line maybe not so much of a problem after all).i will keep you posted on the results,.
Quaddie

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Look forward to reading your results Martin.Relevant or not as a tackleholic I am always interested in both peoples findings and views on such matters.

David Preston

Reaction score
Going back to finding the point with the barb - it's always the one at right angles to the eye.

C

Chris Bishop

Crimps v twisting - it all depends how you make them up and what kind of wire you use.

The Lark's Head knot won't slip, even under extreme pressure, if carefully tightened.

So all the crimp (or twist...) does is hold the tag end down for neatness and added security.

I've had twisted traces go when I've spun them up on the banks with forceps.

I've never bust a crimped trace on a fish and when I've pulled for a break on snags the wire has gone elsewhere - usually where it's twisted up round the top hook.

Fixed hooks are essential, because a sliding hook pig tails the wire and weakens it.

Having said this I've started using the QED wire for lure fishing and paternostering - you can twist this up with your fingers and it's tough as nails.

Budgie: I've seen trace making jigs in some of the sea mags - they use them to make sure snoods hang right on some of the complicated clipped-down rigs they tie.

I wonder if you could adapt one for making pike traces.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris, Frazers Fishing Tackle in Aberdeen makes the trace jigs you talk about. He has mentioned to me about adapting one for Carp and Pike rigs. Do you think there is a market in it for him?

C

Chris Bishop

If you could design a foolproof way of attaching the trebles/swivel I'm sure there would be. It's one of the most tedious jobs in the world.

Companies which make traces commercially must already have something similar.

The jigs I've seen have been in the sea mags, one of the big rig bits firms makes them, Breakaway I think.

C

Chris Bishop

Beats hammering panel pins into the kitchen worktop and cutting notches for 12, 18 and 24".