My Rotten Bottom

C

Clive Evans

I'm a bit confused here!
I'm using a 60lb(?) shock leader, being a good citizen and potentially saving the lives of countless beach-buddies by avoiding crack-offs.
But I'm fishing rough ground, so I'm advised to use a weaker link to the lead to retrieve the end tackle (and fish hopefully) if the lead gets caught up.
So, how weak a link? 50lb, 40lb,would I be able to pull for a break? 10lb,20lb, would I get the crack-off when casting anyway?
Is there a ratio of line strengths that give the optimum safety factor for both fish and fellow angler?
Your help in this would be appreciated.

C

Carp Angler

The weak link will have to be lighter than your main line, otherwise it's not the weakest link when pulling for a break.

Special clips keep the lead attached to the shockleader during casting, which then come apart as they hit the water leaving the lead on the weak line.

K

Kieran Hanrahan

You can use different sizes of paper clips (seriously) as weak links and not bother with a different strength of line on the rig. It takes some testing over a field to find which paper clips allow you a full cast without beanding out fo shape and they are a lot cheaper than shop bought weak links...

FWIW, Happy Christmas

R

Richard Drayson

Kieran, would you be happy fishing next to someone using paper clips as a weak link?
I certainly wouldn't, especially if they're pendulum casting.
For safety's sake I think it best to stick to the proper gear designed for the job.
A 5oz lead travelling at speed can do a lot of damage to a human body!

C

Clive Evans

Thank you, for your replies gentlemen, and especially Rik for the two very helpfull links.
As you have probably realised I am a novice sea-fisherman and I have tended to avoid rough groung fishing. Now I wont have to.
Thanks again.

C

Carp Angler

I personally use a Genie breaker lead clip and find them very reliable.

My first use was over the rough grounds of the Bristol channel, whilst codding.

Another thing I incorporate is a lead lift, to raise the retrieved tackle up in the water.

K

Kieran Hanrahan

Hi, Sorry about that Richard, I stand corrected. :)

I had not intended to recommend that people use paper clips as rotten bottom links for shore angling - especially for pendulum casting around a crowded mark! We do not have such the same angling pressure here as do the more popular marks in the UK.

The genie clips recommended by carp angler work well but a "rotten bottom" line of 20-30% lower breaking strain than the main line and trace works too. This is particularly important if you are using braid as your main line.

My apologies for forgetting to mention (doh!) that I use the paper clips mostly when downtiding where no cast is required.

For the record if you use some of the larger a..k.a stronger paper clips, you will not get crack-offs but they will bend out under pressure and before the trace or main line snaps or a knot gives way...

Most crack-offs happen because the angler does not check his rig for wear and tear through abrasion often enough, coupled with bad casting technique (mea cupla!). The best guarantee of safe casting is to check your line after every retrieve, especially if you are fishing over foul ground - it stops you losing fish too! :)

K

Kieran Hanrahan

Doh! again... sorry brain not in gear, I have used paper clips from the shore, over rough ground, but usually there is only me and one or two other anglers, and no great distance is required thus issues of casting safety simply do not come into play. On some occassions I have used them from the beach over mixed ground and found that they work well. I am not a pendulum casting exponent in any event, so it never arose as an issue. I suppose buying genie clips would guarantee peace of mind if you plan to cast hard and will be fishing a popular mark. Happy New Year and tight lines...

C

Carp Angler

For those wanting to know more about lead lifts, then they are designed to plane the lead up to the surface on quick retrieves, thus further minimizing losses.

Breakaway's version can be seen here

D

Dave O'L

Clive the ones CA has reccomended are good.
A few years ago I started to use a wire affair that was held pointing upwards so the lead would not fall off by a bead with large hole. The Genie is a big improvement as there is some resistance to prevent accedental release.
The new systems of recent years are massive improvements on old systems using wire hooks, pins etc.

I had a near accident with my mate when lobbing out. The lead just touched the rocks behind me so it released & I didn't realise. I was told after when trying to figure out what happened.
My mate said it was a novel experience to have a 5oz lead go past an ear.

Thank god I didn't hit him & it was only a lob. Anyone see how far a lead will travel if you crack off.......?
I was practicing in a field trying to learn pendulum (badly) & lost the lead & @ 30ft of neon orange high viz shock absorber. (I didn't then realise that inner tube over the thumb wore the line out).
Then I could only cast @ 75yds top wack, the lead cleared 2 football pitch lengths @ another 50yds +. I could see the line after walking up & down the field for 1/2 hour over a fence, on luckily a disused railway track.
How far would a full blown pendulum go?

C

Clive Evans

Dave O'L Thanks, you've just confirmed my worst fears, exactly what I was worried about!!
Still, this thread has gone a long way to clarifying both the problems and possible cures. I feel much better about being able to fish safely now, so thank you all for your input.
Clive.

D

Dave O'L

Cheers Clive -
may I just add as I realise I didn't make it clear. The system I used when nearly beheading my mate a few years ago was an old system, weight hangs on a wire hook, lead tied to eye of hook with 10lb line.
I mention this in case anyone has bought any - maybe bin them so you won't be tempted to use them.