Tow Path Etiquette

J

Jon Doran

I frequently come across motionless anglers dotted along canal tow paths. I've been tempted to attempt to waken them - though not by the Snow White method - but have always held back wary that this might be a breach of etiquette.

As a newcomer to the sport, I wonder if others object to being disturbed for a quick chat, or is it better to let sleeping anglers lie?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The anglers you've seen are not sleeping, they are in deep concentration and oblivious to lesser mortals passing by. It is best to leave them undisturbed. Even the mere mention of waking them with the Snow White method would earn you an early bath. Worse, you could be invited to try a deep sleep yourself - via the Reggie Kray method.

J

Jon Doran

Graham, your response was a little too late I'm afraid. Last night I tentatively approached a basking angler with a harmless enquiry as to whether he had any spare maggots. His reaction sadly confirmed what you say - the peaceful veneer of the average angler clearly masks a raging beast. Fortunately the x-rays showed nothing to be broken and the rod was successfully removed under a local anaesthetic. I won't do it again, honest....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm not surprised Jon, canal anglers really are a savage breed. Much of it comes from mountain bikers running over their poles - very painful.

john blundell

Reaction score
you're talking about match boys with big poles then?! I'll say hello, but in the nicest possible way, i have no interest really in what they are catching. I'll be friendly and maybe have a small chat if they reply with an amount of friendliness.

If i'm piking, i may be a bit more interested to how they are catching, as they're catching the prey of the fish i'm after!

It's always nice to have a chat and to be friendly though. No harm just saying hello is there?

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
I don't mind the odd brief chat but this is my chance to get out and have some peace and quiet away from nagging mouths. Recently I was extremely annoyed as a young boy who I had kindly assisted in sorting his rig out sat himself down and proceed to fish in my second line of feed area, himself sat a mere couple of feet away from me, this really annoyed me but I remained calm and politley asked if he could fish elsewhere, meanwhile his parents were down the other end of the lake fishing away in peace as I was trying to do! anyone in the formby/maghull and surrounding areas beware of a child which looks like the lad from Bad Santa! That surely would warrant the old Kray way of dealing with him wouldn't it?

T

The Monk

No not at all, I often take the old mountain bike along the canal tow paths and nearly always stop for a chat when I see people fishing, although I remember one guy getting a bit shirty with me,

but then again I did run over his pole!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
John Doran were are you ?
I wonder if he took up running or mountain biking ,shame really as he has humour.

T

The Monk

yeah great shame mate, blast from the past eh, the guy had talent