New Year Wish List

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
My greatest wish is that more anglers will realise that it's not what ends up in your landing net that matters, but how much you enjoyed putting it there.

And my other wish is that some positive action is taken to put the British Rod Caught Record Fish List on a more professional footing.

R

Ron Clay

Good idea Graham, although personally it won't matter to me if I never catch a record.

My wish for 03 is to see the barbel record smashed by a mile by a fish that has never seen a hook before.

But most of all it should be a Trent fish.

It would bring the record home, where it belongs.

P

Phil Heaton

My wish would be to make the maximum floodwater level 1m above normal, over that it must stop raining.
Ron, lets have a Yorks bred record and more better quality river stretches that are'nt restricted access.

M

Mick Fleet

I would like to see some of the more famous anglers getting involved in teaching youngsters the art of fishing, rather that preaching on about how good they are for a change!
I agree with Graham that people should enjoy all aspects of angling rather that having the tunneled vision that BIG is best and nothing else matters.
And lastly......i wish i could get a full seasons river piking in without the rivers rageing through at full pelt and flooded as far as the eye can see!
When will all this wet weather end???

S

Stuart Bullard

Too many angling wishes, so I will just stick to hoping I get out more.

On more important things, I wish George Bush would spontaneously combust, in the close vicinity of Tony Blair. Sorry to be down beat, but Bush is more dangerous than any Moslem radical to world peace, and I am sorry to say that under Tony Blair I pay massively more in tax yet receive far worse services than 10 years ago.

So, I guess my real wish is that my wife and I can go thru with our plan of moving to New Zealand or Vancouver.

……………I am happy really.

C

Chris Bishop

A couple of years ago I'd have said I want this or that 30, now I'd probably go along with Graham and say I hope I enjoy this year as much as the last couple. The fishing hasn't always been earth-shattering but the company and all the banter have been first class.

G

Gerry Castles

I hope I enjoy the same fishing company in '03 as I did in '02. Oh and I'll also have the 30 that Bish is not too fussed about.

P

Peter Waller

Gerry, there are three known 30's on the river that you sometimes fish with a guide so maybe your wish will come true in 2003, I certainly hope that it does.

Chris sums it up well! This isn't intended as one-up-manship but I think I would just like to pull a 35 pounder, I've been within ounces but I'm certainly not going to bust a gut over it.

D

Dave Silvers

For peace on earth and goodwill to all men, but I'll settle for less litter on the bankside, especially sweetcorn and luncheon meat tins.

D

Dave Silvers

Stuart - you realy know the threat that Bush and Blair (The Nuke Twins) pose when you have kids in the forces.

david hooton

Reaction score
last year i returnd to fishing after a 30 year gap ,only to find the fishing better, the tackle and baits superb,and my local club members a treat to associate with.this new year is looking good,HAPPY NEW YEAR.

C

Chris Bishop

To Mark's wish list, I'd also add:

- Pike that feed reliably on my days off...

- Pike that appreciate you for just turning up...

- Pike that always weigh a bit over 20, rather than a bit under...

- Scales which always give you the benefit of the doubt...

- Pike that fight like hell but give up once they get in the landing net, so I don't have to keep cutting traces out of it...

- Barbless hooks that stay in as good as barbed ones...

F

Fred Bonney

My wishes are, that I get one of those Great Ouse Barbel before I move to Lincolnshire(and become a nearly Northerner )and ask Ron Clay to show me how to catch one from the Trent.
That I meet some more of you guys and have the fun face to face, that is apparent on this site.
Thanks to all of you,I wish you,what you wish yourselves for 2003.

K

Kevan Farmer

My fishing wishes are quite plain really. Firstly to be able to get out more and actually do some fishing. Then in one of these hoped for trips to catch and land a tench; it's been over 20 years since I managed this little feat believe it or not but my new club waters hold plenty of them.....or so I am told :)

Next I would like to catch my first 'river' pike. This shouldn't be too difficult as, again, one of the stretches of the Severn my club holds has some very nice 20lb plus pike. Other than that, I just want to enjoy my fishing and if that means just catching gudgeon then so be it.

Kevan

R

Ron Clay

Which part of Lincs are you moving to Fred?

As a matter of interest, there are a great many Clays who live in the vicinity of Boston - where the name originated.