VIRUS!

S

stu black

I've been sent a virus in a screensaver, its one that will send itself to anyone on my email list, AVG antivurus didn't pick it up!

Anyone receiving an email from me delete it immediatley!

Sorry folks!!!

Stu

S

stu black

Glad to hear it Monk!
wasted nearly 3 hours of my life getting rid of that. theres some good guys out there writing fixes though.

A

Alan (brush) Broomhead

While we are on the subject of viruses ....

An old 'hoax' is doing the rounds again

It is called the 'jdbgmgr.exe' virus

It is an infamous (and elaborate) hoax

Please visit the following URL and read for yourself, to allay any fears.

Symantec Jdbgmgr.exe

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Alan B,

Wow!! Thanks mate. I followed the advice at your link and sure enough the little teddy bear was sitting on my hard drive. I've deleted it from the Recycle Bin as instructed. Does that mean I've been infecting others when e-mailing?
Very grateful mate.

Regards Chris.

J

Jack Pike

I ve spent most of my Christmas and New Year scanning with antiviri. Ive oicked up 3in the last week the after 18 months of clean surfing.I had AVG installed it only managed to stop one them so I installed Norton now a lot better.I think they must of come to life whith it being Christmas I just wonder how many newbies got infected on Christmas Morning because a lot of presents being PC,s this year.I know where I picked mine up from Kazaa p2p so be warned. Also when I logged on to post this a little pop came on wishing me a new year with a button to enter I didnt push it has anyone else seen it .

A

Alan (brush) Broomhead

Chris.....

Please tell me you were NOT serious!!!

Both my post and the link plainly state, that the jdbgmgr.exe is in fact a HOAX and NO action is required.

If you WERE serious about having deleted it, do NOT worry or panic, jdbgmgr.exe is rarely, if ever, called by your system (unless you are a professional programmer dealing in debugging Javascript Database Scripting, it is not actually needed by anyone else).

I apologise if my post was in any way misleading mate. It was intended to be a forewarning, so that you didn't panic if you ever received the e-mail.

F

Fred Bonney

Alan,you post was straight forward,no need to apologise,I wouldn't have thought.

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi Alan,

No mate I'm afraid I'm totally serious.
I read your post in the small hours and obviously 'got it around my neck'.

It's my own fault for not reading your the information on your link properly.
Have I deleted important files?
It hasn't seemed to effect my P.c yet.
Why was the T.Bear on my hard-drive then?

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond Alan.

Regards Chris.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
Which virus did you get in through Kazaa Jack Pike?
I've a feeling I may be infected but Norton says not.

Eric

F

Fred Bonney

I picked up 8 virus on WinMx,I then found Zone Alarm, a firewall,it appears to be protecting me.
My Norton said I wasn't infected too??

J

Jack Pike

W32.IRCBot.Gen
Discovered on: July 15, 2002
Last Updated on: July 17, 2002 04:18:31 AM

W32.IRCBot.Gen is a generic detection for variants of W32.IRCBot. W32.IRCBot.Gen has backdoor capabilities that allow a hacker to use Internet Relay Chat (IRC) to remotely control your computer

This Trojan might also have the ability to download and execute other files of the hacker's choice.

J

Jack Pike

W32.HLLP.Handy
Discovered on: November 25, 2002
Last Updated on: December 11, 2002 02:46:38 PM

W32.HLLP.Handy is a virus that prepends itself to the files in the KaZaA download folder and the Internet Explorer default download folder. It is written in the Borland Delphi programming language and is compressed with UPX.

Type: Zoo Virus
Infection Length: 24,064 bytes
Systems Affected: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Me
Systems Not Affected: Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX, Linux

C

Carp Angler

Norton will sometimes pick up infected files and quarantine them, which I think is the default setting, if it can't fix an infected file.
If you've gone back in and changed it to delete immediately it will do so.

It will do this without you knowing about it.
This is also the place to look if you have files that you can't delete, because it says that they are in use by other programs.

If anyone needs any advice on any of this, then just ask.

D

Dave O'L

My feelings are that Zone Alarm has an interest to keep telling you a load of stuff is happening then you think you are getting your money's worth. If you have the free download you may be tempted to buy the full version.

As C.A. says a lot happens that we are never aware of if you have virus software.
My last place of work @ 1 1/2 years ago the virus software went down for 2 weeks. (my office was next to the IT dept). They told me that when they got things sorted they tracked over 2000 viruses were in the system. They didn't panic, software sorted it out.

The thing is there are people who could use our P.C.'s & we'd never know.
Friend of a friend who works in local police paedophile unit was saying that these people who got arrested in the big swoops recently are the 'stupid ones'. The 'clever' (???) ones hack into other's P.C.'s to download.

A

Alan (brush) Broomhead

Chris...

No you haven't deleted anything significant
It is just one of the thousands of Microsoft 'just-in-case- files....for those with a bent for programming java database scripting. You will never need it.

The teddybear is actually a valid Microsoft icon and appears on everyone's machine (if they have installed that particular section of the MS system)

Regards
Brush

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Alan,

Whaaatt!! No 'java database scripting'???

Oh well 'C'est la vie'

Cheers for putting my mind at rest mate!
I have Norton installed and as someone said earlier it has already quarantined one of the little blighters. The P.C seems to be developing some peculiar 'foibles' like inadvertently starting maintenance procedures or freezing up if left standing, while connected to the internet and various little curiosities. I've had a dose of Kak-worm in the past, and although I took the machine in to the P.C doctor to sort, it never seems to have been quite the same.

Do computers develop little idiosyncracies as they get older?

Regards Chris

C

Carp Angler

they do if you load up lots of stuff on them, lots of file shring and other bits generally make them less stable over time.

The best bet is to back up all your data, as you should do regularly anyway, and then re-format the PC.
It'll run sweet as a nut again.