The Fens

R

Ron Clay

Good start Chris,

Like you I find the fens utterly facsinating and mystical.

And not just for the predators either. The tench fishing in summer along the Old course of the Nene and Vermuydens can be excellent. Don't go there if you are a numbers man however. A six pounder is rare.

I tench fish these areas in summer beacuse of the atmosphere. The teench bubbles, lilies, rushes and misty dawns and knowing that the next fish has maybe never seen a hook before.

I would rather catch a 5 pounder from these waters than an 8 pounder from a southern gravel pit.

It's the same with the pike. If you catch a double in a day's fishing you are doing well.

Hope to get another few days down there before the season ends

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

I agree, a great introduction to what looks like being a very interesting series.
I found Chris B.'s approach very refreshing too.
Good stuff!

Regards Chris.

J

john conway

Smashing read, it’s interesting to hear about the history and geography of the area as well as the characters who fish there. Look forward to the next article.

S

Sascha Welsch

Fully agree with the other comments Chris, well done. As a resident of the more northern, Lincolnshire fens myself I can fully appreciate the sentiments expressed in the article. There is nothing better than 'braving' these waters in the depths of winter in the search for predators with no-one else within miles of you.

Ron, you're quite right, there are some lovely tench waters in the Fens, and the fish are wonderfully coloured and conditioned. Don't expect a biggie though; 6lbers are cracking and a 7 is the stuff of dreams, but even the 3 and 4lbers go like stink.

G

Gary Knowles

Good start Chris..looking forward to the next installment..Only been to the fens once myself but absolutely loved the place.

C

Chris Bishop

Thanks for the comments.

Seeing some of the pics people sent in response to my frantic requests made me realise how much I already take this fantastic place for granted.

I see amazing sights like these all the time but the camera stays buried in the bag for those rare occasions when a good fish shows.

So perhaps I've fallen foul of the very thing I'm trying to get across, without even realising it.

I hope you enjoy the rest of it. I promise I'll only keep it going for as long as it's got something to say.

D

Dave Silvers

Well done Chris - very enjoyable, look forward to the next one.

F

Fred Bonney

Frank ??, new to the site?
Chris, great descriptive writing,I look forward to reading more and hope to take in some of the Fens myself in due course.

G

Gary Knowles

Chris,

Its a mistake I've made myself in the past. These days I try and get my camera out whether I catch or not.

Some of my favourite photo's now do not have a fish in sight.

R

Ron Clay

There are a couple of photos in this article that are most evocative.

This begs the question: just what has happened to that great art form we used to call angling photography. All you see these days are prats grinning and holding fish and those horrid pictures in the weeklies showing shots taken from some idiot who can walk on water, or sit in in.

Even worse are those anglers pictured against the English countryside wearing bright red jackets and silly white caps. It all looks so incongruous.

Maybe I am a silly romantic old fart whos ideas have no meaning in todays heartless and brash society.

A

Andy Doughty

May be there should be FishingMagic angling photography competition? As long as the photo has something to do with fishing in it, even if it is water, then thats OK.

Frank Hartnell

Reaction score
Oops! Sorry Fred. Didn't mean that other FM articles are badly written. I'd just read a cr@p purple prose job in the weeklies and was relieved to read something well written (The Fens) immediately afterwards.

A

Andrew Miller

Ron, althought I know what you mean i had to laught at your statement "prats grinning and holding fish" right next to your photo!

P

Paul Williams

Windy,
you are naughty......but i like you!!
Chris,
I've been a little busy and have only just read your piece.....all i can say is...don't you dare stop!....bloody refreshing stuff!

F

Fred Bonney

It's Ok Frank,it was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment,I think I know where your coming from.

S

stu black

There'd be a prat grinning next to my name if only I could work out how to make the pic fit!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Stu (and anyone else having trouble loading up a 'Face-it' photo) send me your picture and I'll sort it for you.