Pond owners beware!!

C

Cheese Paste

Nearly lost all my fish today. Most went belly up this morning through lack of oxygen from being iced up .Managed to save them just in time.

J

John McLaren

Cheese Paste, seems a bit sudden. How long has the pond been frozen? A ball floating on the surface helps to keep a space clear but sounds like you may have excessive debris (leaves etc)or too many fish in the pond. Glad you saved them.

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi Cheesepaste,

My old gran used to leave a tennis ball floating on the surface of her pond. She reckoned it stopped it freezing right over. I'm not sure why it would though.

Regards Chris

C

Cheese Paste

Yeah someone else told me about the tennis ball trick. I've now got 3 balls floating in there. Turns out the pump had ceased, stopped the water moving and consequently iced over.

T

The Monkey

I lost ?5k of koi in the summer due to lack of oxygen got me self an airator brill no ice no build up of gasess no more lost fish.

T

The Monk

Just seen an outdoor pond heater ?25 new, anybody used one?

T

The Monk

Balls can still freeze up in the pond, try some squares of polystyrene, the ice freezes around it but the oxygen will still get through (apparently), thsat is providing it dosent get wet of course!

T

The Monkey

My balls froze in the pond last year paid 45 squid for a blagden pond air pond no ice. Monk them pond heaters are ok for the smaller pond so long as you leave it on or the ice will break them.

T

The Monk

Thanks for that Monkey, just been out with the torch on mine and noted 2 tench feeding under the ice?

M

matt thomas

oh dear monkey what were you doing putting your balls in your pond at this time of year
i hope they still work ok now,ouch!!

P

Phil Hackett

It’s not just your garden ponds you should be thinking of guys. If you are a club or fishery own who own small shallow ponds, pools, etc, it now time to get the sledgehammer out and brake some holes in the ice near the side (not out on the ice, to dangerous!) to let the toxic gases out, and air/oxygen in.

It might be worth giving the water a vigorous stir with a paddle or a shovel for a few minutes to put some dissolved oxygen back into the water.

D

Dave Silvers

I used to have problems with fish gasping in hot still weather, best thing I did fitting an air pump, they are quite reasonably priced too. The pond hasn't frozen over either, probably due to constant action of the bubbles breaking the surface tension of the water.
I'm sure that opens the door to many other ways of producing bubbles in water.

T

The Monk

I'm seriously thinking of buying a pet duck?

A green winged teal would be nice?

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi Monk,

How about an Indian Runner? (Handy for the takeaway!!)

Regards Chris.

T

The Monk

Wouldnt mind a road runner Chris,
beeep beeep!!

did you seen them on the telli last night, weird nature, it burnt the Hells Angels off!

T

The Monkey

I used to have a mallard duck when I was a kid until next doors dog Bit it's head off.