You asked for it, so here it is

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Mick Fleet suggested it would be a good idea (<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=4&UTN=5845&chklast>A forum for beginners</a>) so here it is. So fire away with your questions and our experienced members will be sure to help.

You can ask anything you like and no question will be considered too basic, too trivial, or too complicated.

M

Mick Fleet

Nice one Graham, im sure that some of the newer anglers out there witt benefit from this forum.
Regards
Mick

Carl Harding

Reaction score
Well I'm certainly glad of this forum it's about time! It may well be easy for some of you guys who seem to know anything and everything about fishing, but for the likes of me I't can get very embarassing asking what may seem to you guys trivial!

I started Carp fishing in september of last year and I have watched videos and I have read mags and papers till they are coming out of my ears! can anyone please tell me In what conditions you use back leads for and more importantly why do some anglers regard them as essential? and one more point doe's It really matter on the size of the hair?
I hope my questions can be answered after all thats what the forum Is about Is'nt It!
If any expericened anglers are reading this and get the hump with my questions you shouldn't be reading this thread! this forum Is for the likes of me, am I right Graham

J

john berry

Well said Carl! I'm a piker myself and know FA about carping - but I know where your coming from!
So c'mon guys ..... help a new lad out and keep the sport alive!!!!!! If he don't find out....he'll give up!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
John, Carl asked his question here:

<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/forum/forummessages.asp?URN=9&UTN=5880&SP=&V=1&cp=1>Backleads</a>

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I've tried to answer it in the other thread Carl, but here goes again:
Carl, the only downside to backleads are the angles you're gonna notch up from your buzzers/indicators through to your hook, hence a serious ‘lack of sensitivity’ issue. Whilst using backleads (although sometimes you’ve got to) you may get pick-ups that aren’t registering, this could be down to the fish picking up the bait, moving it around a foot or so and you not being any the wiser due to having far to many angles between your hook and your indicators hence no bite registering. I would try to steer clear of backleads as much as possible. Far to many anglers use them at every occasion.

Another of your questions about 'does it matter how long the hair is'? The answer is definitely yes: if your using bottom baits on a line aligner or knotless knott then you want at least 1cm from the bend in the hook to the bait, this will allow the rig to turn on ejection and hook the muva!

D

Dave Rothery

i think its best if people post new threads, rather than new questions within a thread - the "carp rod" thread had rods, hair lentgh and backleads in it! - it will make it much easier for people to find what they're looking for

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
No problem Stuart, I guess John has got the message now that we DO help the new lads. Sometimes twice!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
That's right Dave. One question per thread would make it much easier on everybody and is more likely to be answered.

Carl Harding

Reaction score
Sorry guys about the same questions twice!! Got carried away, I have loads of questions relating to carping so here goes with another one.

On my fox swingers I have a large barrel to weigh the arm when the line is placed through it, Is there a scale on where this barrel should be located? is it for weather conditions? or Is It distance to the cast?
Thank you for the info on backleads guys the forum obviously works Graham!!!!

ps I will only ask this question once lol

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
You can use the sliding weight on swinger-type indicators in two ways. The first way is to adjust for sensitivity, usually when using non-bolt rigs, in that you adjust the weight until the swinger just holds position in the prevailing conditions (wind and undertow, or absence of). Which means the slightest movement of the bait will move the indicator.

The second way is to slide the weight right up to the end where it clips onto the line, offering maximum resistance. This way is most often used when fishing a bolt rig on a tight line, especially at long range, and setting the swingers at their full extent, close to the rod. Very often this results in a drop-back bite, exaggerated by the heavy weight setting of the swinger.

Hope that helps.

Carl Ward

Reaction score
Tackling up again after ten year lay-off.Into pike,and large specimens of most species,but am confused by the terms used re. rods e.g.SIC,ZIC,alu oxide.Which are good,bad or indifferent?Understand ball-bearings good in reels,but is 10 o.t.t? Tried an early braided line,Gorilla Braid.Are newer types big improvements?Are specific rod rings required for braid?