Quality Fishing

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's a good question - what does quality fishing mean to you?

D

David Will

A lightly stocked big stillwater with big Tench Bream Perch Roach and Pike.Secure parking no silly rules (except no bait boats!).Very few other anglers, no yachts and a pub nearby.

martin flavell

Reaction score
Our own private fishery, miles from anywhere
with a very large head of previously uncaught large perch,roach and rudd with absolutely No carp 1 acre completely tree lined and only 3 pegs !plenty of rare animals and birds and no arkaik rules or bans ! sounds idillic ? .......................you bet !

J

John McLaren

Quality fishing is about waters set in attractive surroundings, plenty of tucked away swims where you can spend all day undisturbed by the outside world but also swims here and there where there is room for you to fish with a mate and enjoy the company when that is what you want.

Not too much pressure from anglers. A head of fish that gives you hope of specimens but also the opportunity on occasions to catch in numbers. And a water that you have to work at for the rewards.

Actually that sounds like the Ribble!!!

C

Cakey

Quality fishing is when I get home and I think to myself "what a brill day/session/week"

P

Paul Williams

Mine is very similar to Dave Will......but could well be a river depending on the mood i'm in....peace and solitude but shared with a good pal to take the piss out of each other.

R

Ron Clay

To me, quality fishing means wild fishing.

Wild fishing is found in waters that are as natural as possible, that havn't been artificially stocked and the fish have bred in the most natural way.

I realise that such fishing might be hard to find in England today, however we can come close to it by fishing our rivers.

This is why my first choice is targeting Trent barbel, together with roach, chub, grayling and dace from some of the 15 or so rivers within 50 miles of where I live.

What is also important to me is the ability to catch our own indigenous species.

J

john conway

Quality to me is the number of natural species available, size of the species and the naturalness of the location.
By naturalness of the location I mean as near to the geological definition of the area, i.e. if I’m fishing the Fens I want it to look like the Fens and if it’s a low land pasture river then I expect to see cows, crops and natural woodland etc.
Like John McLaren has previously said the Ribble comes pretty close to this. Knowing Ron I’ll take his word re the tidal stretch of the Trent not to mention the Swale and the Wharfe?

P

Phil Hatton

Quality is wanting to go back five minutes after you get home.

G

Gerry Castles

Wild fishing is big on my list too. That's why I prefer to flyfish for like than flyfish for stockie rainbows, but I have to come clean and say that in spite of the pleasure I get from just 'being there',
a 30lb pike 0r a 6lb perch is always on my mind.

G

Gerry Castles

that should have read 'prefer to flyfish for 'pike'......

A

albert watkinson

at 76 quality fishing is being on the river bank in my case the dane and getting 1or2 bites and seeing like minded anglers.aint it great to be british.
albert

S

Stu Black

I know it sounds daft, but I didnt know waht a commercial fishery was until a couple of years ago. I hadnt bought any of the angling press for years and totally missed all this, and just went where i always had, rivers, ressiies and canals. I started buying the AT when I started working away aq couple of years ago.

I had one attempt at Border Fishery in Crewe, paid about a fiver for my ticket, after a couple of hours at what was meant to be an all day sesssion, I packed up. The reason? I was bored!! Every cast, whatever i did, i caught exactly the same fish,. To me thats not fun and not what i love fishing for.

Quality fishing, to me, is finding the fish, and fishing well for them. I'd rather blank and learn something than catch like that again.

J

Jim Hinchley

Im afraid John Mclaren must be a psychic plagiarist because i would of written a definition exactly as his.
Nice one John 10/10

J

John McLaren

Jim, don't be so disgusting!!! :0)

By the way, I'm out on the Ribble tomorrow, I just hope it's not on its way up with the recent rain!

J

Jeremy Airey

Shallow, gin clear water, visible fish that want to chew noisy surface lures.
Oh and if they can all be in the 5-15 range that would be nice too, fit not flabby.
I would rather catch 6 five pounders than one 30 pounder if I cvould do it as outlined above.
Shame the only fishing I've found like this is in places like Mexico and Florida.
regards
Jeremy Airey