Cheesewire braids

M

mike smith

In yoiur article, you say that is much less abrasive than some braids. I have read some reports saying you have to watch your fingers as you can lose one to the cheesewire effect with braids, such as if you were pulling for a break.
Does this one made from polyetheline make life a little safer?

C

Chris Bishop

By abrasive, it means the slightly rough feel some braids like Fireline have, which makes them grate in the rings when you're playing a fish and cuts casting distance.

You won't lose a finger, because it isn't cheesewire.

In fact the general rule of thumb is to choose a braid of similar diameter to the mono you'd usually use.

Braid is a lot stronger. One reason a lot of predator anglers are sold on the stuff is ou can usually bend the hooks out of a snag, which avoids losing an expensive lure or leaving a baited rig and line tethered to a snag.

Other factors are it has zero stretch and it's a lot more durable.

I've used the 65lbs for lure fishing for a few months now and it's wicked stuff. Once the Fireline's worn out on my bait fishing reels, I'll probably change those over.

P

Paul Williams

I've been using PP in 20lb for a few months( since Rik introduced me to it) and recently switched to the 50lb for general piking.....it's the most trouble free braid i have used.......but i wouldn't use my fingers when pulling for a break....with ANY line!

D

Dave Rothery

saw someone try to pull 40lb braid out of a wreck when pirking once with his hands - luckily the skipper saw it and managed to wrap a gaff round the line before it took the blokes hand off......

A

Andy Thatcher

Tha's one of the reasons I use 20lb PP for my barbelling. I leave far less tackle in the water as I can straighten most hooks with it.

Here a tip though from Ray Walton that I found very useful. Take a bit of aluminuim stockwith you for pulling for breaks or use your bank stick. Could save damage on you reel.

tony bowman

Reaction score
ive used fox submerge braid for piking for 2 years, great stuff for casting, setting the hooks, the fish fight is excellent,but what really lets it down is poor abrasive quality,i found a 35lb quicksilver leader the answer to the problem, hope this helps u

C

C. Roger Bradbury

It is one of the best of the 3rd generation superbraids. Competitors are FIN-S braid and "The One".

If you haven't seen it yet, try looking at Ockert's Climax Match ("Stipp") braid. It is less 'reinforced' than this or fused braids, and so may wear more qickly (diameter-for-diameter) but the strength-to-diameter quality is just unbeleivable ! The heaviest they do so far is 34lb b.s.

I

Ian Whittaker

Does power pro float or is it a sinking braid? I'm looking for a new braid for trotting big sliders on the rivers.

S

stuart palfrey

First time i used braid lure fishing,had a pike on grabbed the line to hand it out like many times before with mono,it cut me to the bone across four fingers.I am now more careful,but it is great stuff.

B

Budgie Burgess

The reason you have to be so carefull with braid is that it is so strong for its diameter and has no stretch.Simple as that.A couple of seasons ago I had a customer grab hold of the braid whilst freeing a snagged rig,before I could tell him not to he had wraped it around his hand,first I new of it was him nearly going overboard!A bit of quick boat handling fortunately saved the day.(and our no claims bonus!)

G

Gary Knowles

Ian,

Power pro is very slow sinking but I use the flouro version for driftfloat fishing as it can be easily made to float by applying vaseline.

I

Ian Whittaker

Cheers Gary,
I thought that was the case , I'll have to look at other brands. I'm looking for a high floater that will sit right up on top of the water not in the film, without additional greasing.

C

Chris Bishop

Fireline's really bouyant but grates in the rod rings a bit.

Whiplash floats well too, but it's flat-profile so you may have probs with line lay and tangles using it on a fixed spool reel.

B

Budgie Burgess

Ripcord SI floats really well.The best floating braid I have ever used was the now unavailable LEEDA Outcast.I have some on reels that has been used every season for over 9 years and still floats ok!

I

Ian Whittaker

Budgie,
Outcast was the first mainline braid that I bought.Went for some more and .... they didn't sell it anymore! Tried one of the Suffix "braids" which I hated and since then I've used Shakespeare Bionic Dynacord .Its still listed in their catalogue but I'm not sure its the same stuff!
Chris ,
you've hit the nail on the head neither whiplash or fireline are friendly enough for continual casting and controlling the float.

C

Chris Bishop

I use Fireline for drifter fishing and trotting livebaits - both a more extreme version of what you probably want to line for.

It lifts off the surface easily, so you can straighten great bows in the line, stay in touch with the float and also ducks, swans etc seem to just go over the top of it without catching up.