Sea angling beginners

D

Dave Godwin

Hi if anybody wants any help with sea angling problems please ask and i will do all i can to help
I have no doubt that many others will will also help you on this friendly site

Dave

S

Shrek

Now this is something that I would like to get into for holiday purposes only, therefore I am looking for a nice compact outfit, probably telescopic, that would enable me to fish beaches and piers/jetty's.

Help with rigs and suchlike would be good too.

Thanks in anticipation.

Adrian.

C

Chris Brown

Is it possible to catch Squid from the shore/pier/jetty's. If so whats the best time of year and what tackle do you need.

K

Kieran Hanrahan

Chris, believe it or not I was asking the same questions on behalf of a mate in Sligo (!) last week and the answer is yes, mainly on the southern coast of the UK and Ireland, from June to as late as December, later the further north you go, and ideally you need a bit of kit called a "murderer", which is akin to mackerel feathers except that it has a seires of small hooked spiked on the body of the lures rather than hooks... from what I can glean elsewhere it is very hit and miss but fishing very close to the the bottom and seemingly over sand also seems to be the best bet. Mackerel feathers will also take squid is they are there but they have a habit of falling off or letting go as they near the surface...

C

Chris Brown

Kieron,
Thanks for the Info, I'm Planning on giving it a go later this year along with some mackeral/bass fishing using lures.

D

Dave Godwin

Hi adrian there are plenty of tele,son the market also some very good travel rods (4-5 piece rods).
anything in the 9'-10' range will suffice from the piers but will limit your casting range from the beaches, a fixed spool reel about the size you use for carp or pike will do the job.
as for rigs. a running ledger works anywhere but a "paternoster" rig is easier to cast from a beach.
allways check with the local tackle shop for the latest info on hotspots and best tides, baits etc

Dave

Paul Hutchinson 3

Reaction score
A simple question, with the new rules on licenses is a license necessary to fish off rocks, piers or harbours. I am intendingto spend some days in Mousehole and fancy trying my luck as a complete beginner?

Reaction score
hey man im wondering what rod do u think would be better for me withen a 42 pound price range no more than 45 i was looking at a shakespeare alphax10 spinning and mackeral rod but were i fish in newcastle and waterfoot there is mackeral and difrent fish but i asked a friend of mine he said 5 r 6 peice rod but i cant find any cheap enough i wouldnt mind if it was roughly over 10ft r 10ft but i want to ask u wat rod do u think would be ideal for nme

please could u help cant realy get much help