does the team think...................

Cakey

Reaction score
we sound a bit selfish for want of a better word ?
there is a thread to kill otters
theres a thread to kill cormmerants
theres a thread against canoes and canoist
next it will be lets kill dog walkers
just hope the RSPB and WWF dont ask for a "cull" of anglers ......:wh

Bluenose

Reaction score
You forgot cyclists and joggers on the canal bank too. They're always* breaking poles and stuff.

Probably hardly ever*

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
We anglers are like your average Englishman who continually moans about the weather, we know it happens but we would rather it didn't and yes that is a selfish attitude because to change it would please only some and not others.

I don't like inconsiderate canal users, cormorants are fine where they should be but should be shot the minute they cross the beach, canoeists should have large holes drilled in their craft and otters should be banished to Cornwall.

I am inconsiderate on consideration so consider it for yourselves.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
we sound a bit selfish for want of a better word ?
there is a thread to kill otters
theres a thread to kill cormmerants
theres a thread against canoes and canoist
next it will be lets kill dog walkers
just hope the RSPB and WWF dont ask for a "cull" of anglers ......:wh

Moderator Hat Off

Where to start?

Okay, there is no thread to 'kill otters' there is however a thread emanting from an informative and evocative article written by a well respected and very experienced angler to discuss the perceived problems cause by the reintorduction of the Otter.

Likewise, there is no thread to 'kill cormorants' the thread is a proposal for a petition to the PM requesting a cull.

There was a thread that discussed the pros and cons of other canal towpath users in juxtaposition to anglers asking why on earth we have to pay to fish while others don't pay to use the facility.

As to are we being selfish, no, I don't think so, I do think it is high time that anglers started to stand up for themselves and stop being 'victims to society' and the animal rights supporter instigated slurs though.

I had hoped that the Angling Trust were going to do this for us, but on the more "pc" topics they have had to take a very weak position; as in denying that they called for a 'cull' but not demanding the necessary studies to take place in order to establish the size of the problem, if indeed it is such a problem.

If we anglers do not stand up for ourselves where will our children and grandchildren be fishing?

Moderator Hat back On

Last edited by a moderator:

Specihunter

Reaction score
The only thing I want is the culling of cormorants as I shouldn't see 4 fly over my head in Oxfordshire and struggle for bites when I should be getting at least roach, dace and perch taps.

Cakey

Reaction score
nothing to do with the floods youve had then Speci ........can only be the birds

Peter mod on or off .....if I show the threads to anlers probably not a killing thread ,if I showed it to greenies ............?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
if I show the threads to anlers probably not a killing thread ,if I showed it to greenies ............?

I get your point Cakey, but then show any collection of 6 words to a 'green' and they will put their own peculiar spin on them.
The same would hold true of: Vegans, Vegetarians, anti smokers, anti drinkers, animal rights brigades and politicians . . . . . LOL

Specihunter

Reaction score
The floods may have played a part Cakey, but I did see one on the Windrush feeding (or looking for food) so it could be both.

Cakey

Reaction score
I wonder if an ex angler is a worse anti
as in a ex smoker moans about smoking more than non smokers

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
"does the team think................... "

I try not to as it wears out the batteries! :wh :cool:

Cormorants - so Speci saw 4 of them in Oxfordshire? as far back as 1994 we had flocks of them on a large 95 acre lake. You'd often see a line of 40 or more with several diving and coming up with fish as big as a pound and if some hit a nice shoal, the other would herd them up in a circle and go on a killing spree. The lake was almost barren of small silvers apart from bleak (the only fish that seems fast enough to avoid them) by 2000. It used to be our top match lake, now it's big carp or nothing - almost.

Cakey

Reaction score
Yes Graham.....................
Ed .....is Wol an alien ? manage to crash land his motor in France ....:wh

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I would say there is a degree of selfishness involved, but there has to be when any one person or group stand up for their rights or principles. That is by definition selfish.

What I think needs to be avoided are knee-jerk reactions and off-the-cuff remarks that could, even taken in context, be detrimental to our cause.

If we go from what Peter describes as:

As to are we being selfish, no, I don't think so, I do think it is high time that anglers started to stand up for themselves and stop being 'victims to society' and the animal rights supporter instigated slurs though.

And swing too far the other way, making demands and even taking the law into our own hands (whether someone actually does that or just openly talks about wanting to do it). We risk alienating the currently apathetic-toward-angling general public who will choose to side with the more militant green/animal groups.

A measured approach using new studies and existing laws to prove these factors are having a negative enviromental impact on fish and therefore river wildlife in general is required.

Angling Trust - where are you?