Carls Swinger Questions!

D

Dave Rothery

Carl Asks:

On my fox swingers I have a large barrel to weigh the arm when the line is placed through it, Is there a scale on where this barrel should be located? is it for weather conditions? or Is It distance to the cast?

D

Dave Rothery

I used to use swingers carl - basically its about striking a balance between how tight you want the line, and counteracting wind drag on the line. cast out, and move the weight closer to the head of the swinger (ie the bit with your line in it) to increase the tension, further away to decrease it. if your fishing in the margins, you want the line slackish, so further from the head, long range with tight lines in a big wind, right next to it.

as a rule, try to leave it so that the swinger in hanging down an inch or two to give you better bite indication

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't see this and just answered it on the other thread.

So it is twice again Carl - behave yourself man!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I too am interested in swingers as are much of the carp fraternity although I do draw the line about the poles being too greasy for sliding up and down. I personally prefer a slow grind from these swingers to get myself in a sensitive position to make ready for my final rod position….

D

Dave Rothery

if the head gets stuck, grab the shaft and give a good tuck. should come off in your hand

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I know I shouldn't speak for Graham here, but if for some reason the bulb on the swinger has become rusty through lack of use and poor handling over the years, maybe try slowing down the 'good tuck' that Dave recommends and if that dosent release it, ask a close friend to help pull it off for you.

D

Dave Rothery

stu - i think we ought to report ourselves to the moderator!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Bloody pervs, what an example to set beginners who are just getting a feel for things.

D

Dave Rothery

two serious answers out of 9 posts - see graham , the forum IS improving!!

Carl Harding

Reaction score
Well Thank you Dave I pretty much guessed it was that but nice to have it answered all the same, But I must say I was getting a little worried when I reached the last few threads!!! had to check I had got the right URL!!!!

Only glad I didn't ask a question regarding thermal underwear and pvc coats?

On a more serious note this site is wonderful for the likes of myself and is made all the better buy guys not responding with look down at you comments!! AND IT;S ALSO GREAT IT CAN BE DONE WITH FUN!! said the balif to the pole chucker!!! I have a large question for tommorow regarding braid and line so with a little luck you all can have a go at sorting my esp situation!! of to bed now later Carp gods

Carl Harding

Reaction score
Thats what Im all going to call you now MY FELLOW CARP GODS ALL BE IT GRAHAM I,M GOING TO CALL HIM THE WEB GOD.

with only a 10 pounder to my name after 6 months i,m the pastie man!!!

D

Dave Rothery

carl - its probably been said before - dont get hung up on size! it took me two years to catch my first double, and 7 years to catch my first twenty. its all relative to the waters you fish. dont think that everyones hauling thirties - i haven't caught one for three years......but then i'm not fishing any waters where there are any, so i'm not that worried! moving from kent to devon makes you realise that there is more to life than 30's and 40's. but then one or two would be nice......

C

Cakey

Carl
Im your man when it comes to pvc.

p.s. And no one must put Carl Harding into our anagram site.

Carl Harding

Reaction score
Making anagrams out of my name are we?
I would be careful especially with a surname of Gaunt!!!!!!! sounds like something a drunken Irishman would say!!!

anyhow my father has made a large amount of money out our name, maybe you know him?

His name is Mike!!

PS maybe I could get a song written about you guys? do I have your permission Graham?