Braid, Rod Rings and Reels

D

Dave Rothery

Another Carl Says:

Tackling up again after ten year lay-off.Into pike,and large specimens of most species,but am confused by the terms used re. rods e.g.SIC,ZIC,alu oxide.Which are good,bad or indifferent?Understand ball-bearings good in reels,but is 10 o.t.t? Tried an early braided line,Gorilla Braid.Are newer types big improvements?Are specific rod rings required for braid?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Carl, if you can afford SIC's then buy them as they surely are the kindest to line/lack of ring friction (oee-er sir one for rik me finks). With regard to braid and you only just getting into carp fishing, then steer clear mate for a couple of years anyway. Use braid for hooklength's but stick to mono on your reel as you'll find this far more forgiving until you've found your feet. I personally wouldn't use mono, but it is a personal choice!

M

Mick Fleet

Hi Dave.
SIC rings which stands for silicone carbide are the hardest ring centres made,and therefore have a longer life span than cheaper rings.
They are however quite expensive although if your going to use a rod long term, then there worth having.
ZIC's and alu oxide are just other types of rod ring.
Most modern reels have ball bearings or needle bearings but i agree 10 seems very o.t.t!
As far as im concerned if its got a minimum of 3 then your ok.
New braids are more advanced now with braids such as new tech power cable and power pro braid being up there at the top, and because some of the braids available have an abraisive feel to them,then good quality rings are required.......such as SIC's.
Hope this helped.
Mick

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Braids also very good for use with a marker float, finding gravel spots, so dont totally dismiss it.

G

Gerry Castles

I wouldn't get too concerned about modern braids tearing up your rod guides. Even the lower end of the rod market tend to sport fairly decent guides. The only braid that had a bad reputation for tearing up rings was Stren Kevlar and this has been withdrawn from the market. If you are interested in catching up with all of the latest developments in rod guides then take a look at the Hopkins and Holloway website at www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk. You also now have even harder guides to get your head around now that titanium is becoming common on modern rods. As you can see PowerPro is most peoples favourite braid, stick with that it won't let you down.

C

Chris Bishop

I wouldn't get too bogged down in the technicalities - as far as most pike fishing's concerned just find a through-actioned rod with larg-ish rings that stop knots or rig stops will go through easily.

Braid helps you cut a lot of corners but 15lb mono's fine if you're just getting back in the groove.

I'd worry more about finding the fish.

G

Gerry Castles

Carl if you've used braid before for piking then using mono is just a backward step.

Carl Ward

Reaction score
Cheers Mick and thanks Gerry and Chris.Great to find somewhere where good advice is freely available.