Carls Line Thread

D

Dave Rothery

Carl Asks:

Stuart I currently have esp on my baitrunners is it advisable to change before the summer? I noticed that towards the end of fishing In December My line was starting to go all over the place, If I do Have to change what would you recomend and what breaking strain? I fish mainly small waters with fish up to the 25 30 mark I would say.

D

Dave Rothery

Staurt Replied:

Line choice is one of extreme personal preference, so be prepared for may conflicting suggestions. Here goes, for me in the winter I fish with Daiwa Duo, it’s an excellent high abrasive line which gives a great performance with a very low diameter. It’s also of a two tone camouflage colouring which gives me additional confidence when tackling down to lighter end gear. I’d use a 12lb breaking strain.
For summer, I’ll use Shimano Catana, although higher in diameter, it really is strong and durable and well and truly able to handle the heartiest of screamers, I’d use this at 12lb as well.

D

Dave Rothery

Then Stuart Added:

Regarding changing your lines Carl, Im going to let you work that out for yourself, but I’ll give you a little pointer mate. Most people will only look to change their lines if lets say the last 2-3 feet are damaged or they’ve has massive crack-offs resulting in leaving 80 yards of line in a tree or the line is coiling like mad due to memory loss. Other than that mate, many will leave the line on their spools. But have a think about this; what if your casting eighty yards to an island, your baits are in 5ft of water, your rod tips are a couple of inches off the surface and half way between you and the island is a raised gravel bar with sharp stones. This would mean that wear and tear would already be taking place on your line, which could be 40 yards back on your spool once you’d reeled in and gone home. Now how pi55ed off would you be, if you hooked that fish of a life time and you cracked off at the weakest part of your line? I tend to change mine at least twice a year, now what about you?

D

Dave Rothery

And I Chipped In My Two Pennyworth:

I agree stu - when i used mono i was changing at least 4 times a year, though the waters were gravel pits with lots of weed. people dont think twice about splashing out on new danglers, luggage etc, but never change their line....mad!