Dead Swans

T

The Monk

Ignorance to angling methodologies amongst some avifauna and natural history organisations is pretty evident from this peice I found recently on the Greater Manchester Bird Site "Probable Incident" come on guys do a bit of research before you start slagging off anglers?

I suppose after the lead shot issue they thing they can get away with anything?

I've sent them on an email to explain just how baiting needles are used, I presume thats what they mean?

DEAD SWANS: there have been four confirmed and one probable incidents recently where swans have died through the ingestion of bait needles. These are implements similar to darning needles which fisherment use to attach dead fish to their lines, and birds have picked up these things which presumably have got entangled with weed. Birds die very suddenly, there are no external symptoms and they appear in good condition. The Warrington Swan Sanctuary and I are anxious to obtain any corpses where the cause of death is not obvious. These will then be sent to RSPCA Stapeley Grange wildlife hospital for x-ray or autopsy. Please contact me on 01942 712615 or Cathy Clements on 01925 636245 for collection. We are also keen to know of any birds which have been shot, whether or not they have survived, for a national initiative. (March 2000)

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Talking of dead swans, did anyone see the photos in one of the national dailies about the power lines that kill or maim about 5 or 6 a week?
Sorry can't remember whidh one it was in or where.

Colin

T

The Monk

See plenty of them Colin, we also know the antis have been responsible for setting up such photos in order that they can stitch up anglers! the Power lines issue will certainly sell papers, its a good story, weither it kills swans is immaterial tp the people who write this stuff, most of them couldnt give a monkeys (no offence Monkey)I know because I used to be a journalist, never let the truth stand in the way of a good story eh Coliun?