ribble

J

joe foxall

can any one tell me if there is any free stretches on the ribble

T

The Monk

Use to be stretches where you could pay the farmer if he turned up!

I

Ian Whittaker

Church Deeps/Shawes Arms/Mellings Wood - AT THE MOMENT I BELIEVE THESE AREAS ARE FREE FISHING -this will probably change very soon.

J

Jim Hinchley

Church deeps and shaws arms are not actually free. They are available on a day ticket if the baliff comes round ( its ?2 ). Alternatively you can get a season ticket for them its a preston centre card.
The question obviously arises from the AT article on p5 this week which claims this stretch is free . Yet more inaccurate information on ribble fisheries , the AT usually claim balderstone is available on day ticket but its a Warrington anglers members only length.
As to the original question are there any free stretches on the ribble - joe there are no free stretches to my knowledge.

E

Eric Hayes

I think Jim`s right about no free fishing on the Ribble, I certainly don't know of any, the stretch at Ribchester village used to be called the free stretch but it ain`t free any more. And contrary to what the AT printed the other week its ?3.50 and not ?2.60 as stated.

J

Jim Hinchley

Dont you just love the AT. Not only do they get another piece of Ribble fishing info wrong but they use a picture for the Ribchester village stretch with some strange bloke pictured fishing it .
Would that man please stand up!!! :)

R

Richard Mander

Has anyone fished at Hengar manor in cornwall. I am going there at Raster and could do with some tipe so that I can beat my mate.

B

Bob Watson

Wasn't you was it Jim?
Can't be doing with cockney Tykes in the weeklies can we?

I

Ian Whittaker

Jim, according to a reliable source Roy Mayor-secretary of Preston Fed- cocked up and failed to renew the lease.I stand to be corrected though.

E

Eric Hayes

Jim I do pay rent for that swim you know, I ain`t been in it for a few months so now there`s a rumor going round the village that i`m dead mate.

G

Gary Knowles

Jim,

The AT didn't cock up, the bloke who caught the pike did. It was he that told the reporter that the stretch was free and that it was called 'church steeps' !!

J

Jim Hinchley

Gary, fair do's then mate.
Just out of interest who decided to change it to "Church steps" later in the article !!

What concerns me is now Ian Whittakers information on the lease and wether the AT angler was in possesion of similar info or was just unaware of the supposed fishing rights on this length.

Need some confirmed info before considering renewing my preston centre card ( as its so expensive :) )

jim

I

Ian Whittaker

Jim ,
the guy with the big pike is supposed to live 10 mins away.He says the stretch is free but got its name wrong!This seems a bit weird to me but the guy obviously wanted to publicise his catch.
Preston Centre cards run out on 31 december.If ,as I have been informed, the secretary missed renewing the lease then technically Preston Centre have no water of their own on the Ribble.

J

Jack Pike

The rights to Church Deeps belong to Southport and District AA

G

Gary Knowles

Jim,

As far as I'm aware the AT get the info off the angler, if he's unaware of his facts or gets it wrong then so do they.

Cant be helped really short of hiring a team of investigators to check the details for every catch reported.

I

Ian Whittaker

Jack Pike(malcolm?)
Church Deeps -right hand bank looking upstream is SDAA, surely not left hand as well?

J

Jack Pike

You are right Ian the right hand bank the one you need mountaineering gear to get down is the SDAA section. No its not Malc but I must give him a ring thanks for reminding me