Nylon Line vs Braided Line

T

The Monk

Horses for courses mate, depend on specie, presentation type, bait type, rig type, conditions, fish suggest reaction per water ie some fish types may spook on one type of line and rig, in certain periods on certain waters or you may require a stiff presentation or a supple one, so many variables I'm afraid your question is very open ended. Experimentation maybe helpful, ie what are the fish going on on the water you are fishing?

T

The Monk

I read an interesting piece on carp fishing once in that carp whos gene pool is related to silty type waters generally have less sensitive lips (this would suggest line type) on more gravelly lakes the carp gene pool had less sensitive lips! I'm not sure if this theory has been scientifically tested, but it does in principle make sense!

James Wright

Reaction score
My whole point is if I had a 15lb Nylon Line I would still be able to catch a 35lb pike...

So if I got a Braided Line then it wouldn't be any different because the end of the day you still caught a pike so it doesn't matter whether if it a braided line or a nylon line!

Get my point?

G

Gerry Castles

Not sure what you are trying to say James. Braid is simply superior connecting with the fish on the strike and detecting the fish in the first place. But your point is a bit like saying a dead pheasant is still a dead pheasant if you shot it with a bow and arrow rather than a shotgun True, but with a bow and arrow you'd be out there all year trying to hit one.... if you get my point.

S

Stu Black

It is a lot more expensive than mono, but then again it doesn't deteriorate in the same way and will last much longer. Its main advantage, as a main line, is that it has no stretch, meaning bites are seen immediately and the strike is instant. This is particularly important at long range. On the other hand, playing a fish on braid is very different to playing one on mono, because the same lack of stretch means you have no saftey zone in the line.

C

Chris Bishop

It's not got much to do with showing bites as far as piking's concerned. The lack of stretch means you can hook fish at long ranges confidently, and it floats which is a boon for drifter fishing, free-roaming livebaits etc.

There's also as much safety margin as you need there because you're using much stronger line, uually in the 30 - 60lb bracket so there should be no way a fish is going to break that unless you get one of those once in a blue moon mishaps.

It isn't necessarily expensive - when I used mono, I changed it every month and still got problems with it, unexplained breakages from time to time, line that coiled up and often tangled, or spilled from the spool fishing with the bail arm open etc, line that refused to float for more than a couple of casts etc.

E

Eric Hayes

James I find it`s better in certain circumstances especially for jerkbaiting if you use mono the amount of stretch just inders the action of the lure. I have tryed 20lb PowerPro for Barbeling but I`m not so keen on it and I think you need the cushion affect when the fish try`s to power off, it`s bad enough with mono, with braid it`s heart stopping. I`ve used 30lb PowePro for deadbating and its fine, much better than mono, I use 10lb Fireline for small pluging, spinning and live bating for Perch. My Brother uses mono for same type of live baiting and I hit more bites than he does. Braid does last ages, I`m using the same 10lb Fireline that I bought over 5 years ago and it`s better now than when it was new, you just have to be careful and make sure you cut it back when it gets frayed. Another benefit you can cast further with braid than you can with mono.

G

Gerry Castles

On the contrary it's ability to detect every slight tug and pull on a lure at range particularly when you are dealing with perch, or pike that are not fully committed gives you a very definite edge over mono. But that's lure fishing.

James Wright

Reaction score
Ok ok...you all made ur point... Now I am thinking about what you all saying and I am starting to agree on what you all saying about braided line.

I have been talking to my fishing mate and he was telling me about it today, I am starting to realise what the big different between the braided line and the mono.

So I am seriously considering of getting a braided line for my Reel when I have enough money!

G

Gerry Castles

James buy yourself 150 yds of 30lb Berkely Fireline Braid and play with it. It isn't as good as Power Pro but then it isn't as expensive. It won't let you down and will probably cost you about a tenner from
www.summerlands.co.uk

C

Chris Bishop

Not so much to do with showing bites, ie bait fishing, as any fule kno.