Fishing Breaks - Has anybody used them?

C

Chris Isaacs

I have just been generously given a voucher for the above company as a 40th birthday present. However, not having fluff flinged for over 20yrs, don't really know what I should be looking for.
My initial reaction was to get a refund on the voucher and get some Coarse Coaching, but as the company won't entertain refunds, I have no option but to use the voucher.
Has anyone got any experience of this company, and if so, can you make any recommendations (?150 voucher to spend)
There site is www.fishingbreaks.co.uk

Regards

Chris

G

Gerry Castles

Don't know them Chris but I noticed that they have classes at Nether Wallop Mill which is where I learned to flyfish when the school was run by Orvis. If it's the same crew then I can heartily recommend them. Also I see that Charlie Jardine does training days with them too. He must be the best all round flyfisherman in the UK. I fished alongside Charlie at Dever Springs years ago and was treated to some impromptu casting lessons. I recommend that you try to get a day with him, I'm sure it will be a day you'll never forget.

J

Jim Bowden

Had a day's casting tuition through Fishingbreaks as well as some Trout and Grayling days, and have always been very happy with the outcome.
Simon Cooper may not want to refund the voucher (unsurprisingly!!), but he's always been most helpful in advising between the beats on offer.
I believe they organise a celebrity day hosted by Bob James of A Passion for Angling fame - which may appeal if you're more interesting in coarse fishing.

C

Chris Isaacs

Jim

I'm sure you are right, that they offer a good day out. I am surprised however that Simon Cooper won't offer refunds on vouchers (if only back to the original purchaser) as there must be occaisions when someone buys them as a gift (as in the case for me) and it is not really what the person is looking for. Surely it is better to have people thinking well of you as a company, and who will remeber your service and help and pass this on to others where it comes up in conversation, rather than to have people disappointed that they have spent a lot of money on a voucher as a well intended gift, only to find it's not really what the person wanted, and there's no way of getting your money back.
I understand that commercially he would want to keep hold of the money, but is it really good working practise?

Chris

J

Jim Bowden

Can't argue with that.
From experience though, operations whose commodity is ultimately time constrained (i.e. if the days fishing isn't sold it's lost)are always likely to be the most reluctant to hand back their cashflow - despite sound longer term business reasons.
Perhaps its syptomatic of the pressure some of the 'high end' service businesses are under given the downturn in the corporate entertainment economy.