Should we end the closed season on rivers?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
My own view is that closed seasons on all waters are generally necessary, no matter whether they are still or flowing. But I think the time and duration should be set by the controlling body of the fishery. That way the closed period is set according to the needs of each individual water and the species it holds. Surely, that's got to make more sense than a blanket closed period.

S

Sally Hotchkin

I think the closed season should be kept so we don't disturb the fish for the whole year round. They probably have jobs they'd like to be getting on with like painting and decorating that they can't get done at any other time of year

N

nigel catterall

In which case shouldn't we have a closed season too?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The only jobs fish have are eating and spawning. If anglers stop fishing the fish will have less to eat. And when they're spawning they're like us, they don't eat and don't want to be disturbed.........

M

Maria Thomas

We really need to take a long term view of this, while it is really tempting to fish the while year round, we want to give nature a bit of a rest every now and then, and make sure that we can pass on our love of the sport to our grandchildren

A

Anthony Sloley

I do agree in giving the fish a break but as you know when fish spawn it is all to do with the weather and temprature, I have a friend who owns some lakes and has known his fish to spawn as late as september so in terms of giving the fish a break while they are spawning most years we are not

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
That's right, which is why I advocate a closed season based on individual waters, then the clubs and owners can close the water when it does the most good, and is not a wasted excercise.

R

Raymond House

If we were to advocate a closed season based on individual waters, how would that be policed ? What would the decision criteria be and how long should it go on for ?

If we remove the closed season on our waters, what is the long term effect ?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
We have had no closed season on stillwaters in the north west region for, what, 20 years or more? And although it is hard to prove there doesn't seem to have been any ill effects. Certainly no more than in those regions where a closed season was in place until quite recently.

As far as policing the closed season on individual waters is concerned, I don't try to make out it would be easy. But there again, since when has easy always been best? But having said that, I reckon club waters at least, would be(are) better policed for that one month or so when it matters than a blanket ban for three months.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm all for having a closed season. But I want one that's meaningful, not one that ends just when the tench, for instance, are thinking about spawning.

My way, predominantly tench waters could be closed in the June/July period.

S

Steve Crabtree

I don`t think a close season is of any significance nowadays as more and more anglers are experiencing fishing on waters that are open all the year. I have fished in Ireland for many years and have found that not having a mandatory close season has not been of any detriment to the fish stocks or their breeding habits.

R

Richard Wylie

It seems B&Q and Homebase are lobbying for the close season to be reintroduced throughout the country. I know I have saved ?'s on DIY products. But in saying that my garden and house still looks a tip and my wife has left me.

S

sam oddy

This debate seems to be about closed seasons on rivers. Any river that is salmon, coarse and trout fished doesn't have a closed season as it is. As far as erosion etc goes most of the major rivers are underfished at present I believe as more and more folk swop to commercial fisheries.

I

Ian White

JUNE 16 will always be a special day, I can't understand why people say IT wont harm fish.
You're heading for disaster catching spawn-bound fish, and it is vital to protect our fish. Let's not give the ANTIS any more reasons to attack us.

A

Andrew Miller

More and more people are taking up fly fishing on the river (with the necessary game fishing licence) and going for coarse fish delibrately. So this present closed season is a farce as the law give coarse fishes no protection anyway as if questioned the fisherman can alway say he fishing for trout !

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
river fish get no more 'spawn bound' than stillwater fish and already we have no closed season on stillwaters. However, if the controlling club/owner of the water closed their own fisheries when the fish did begin spawning, or for the period when it is known the majority of the fish present spawn - on stillwater and river - surely that has to be the best answer.

M

martin BATEY

Of coarse there should be a closed season. Does anyone out there like catching a fish full of spawn? I do'nt. Give them a rest and stop thinking about Yourselfs. The 16th is sacred.

C

Carp Angler

Having seen all fish become visibly healthier (e.g. no scrapes or marks) and bigger since the abolition of the closed season on lakes, which I would have to attribute to more bait going in the lakes, I can't see any sane reason for keeping the close season on rivers.
Other than sanctimonious, bigotted and naive waffle, I have not seen a good reason posted here or written in the press that would justify keeping the close season.
Saying that the 16th is sacred or that people wishing the the closed season abolished are being selfish, will not sway a QUANGO, they would require hard facts, and so far these facts are just not apparent.

C

Carp Angler

Goose
A well thought out and constructive exchange to the forum.
Well done.

C

Carp Angler

Has this discussion died, can nobody come back with some thoughts, how much do you want to keep your closed season? (lights blue touch paper....)