Forum improvements

W

Wag

Graham, any chance of being able to use Emoticons (the little smiley/sad/funny face symbols) on the Forums. It seems that quite a few posts, although meant to be light hearted, are misunderstood. Maybe if we could add a smiley (or grumpy) in the appropriate place it would help with the interpretation.

(All those long words - I'll have to go and have a lie down now :) )

G

Gerry Castles

Please Graham no silly little faces !
Please Carl have a long lie down !

S

Stu Black

I agree about no faces, but what might be good is a 'number of veiws' counter if possible?

C

Chris Bishop

We've already got funny faces. Look to the right of some postings...

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
That's the trouble with emoticons, some love 'em and others hate 'em. I think they suck! Especially when they're over-used and postings end up looking like a bloody cartoon.

Sorry Carl, I understand why you want them but I think they belong on other forums. If the majority wanted them it would be a different matter.

Vote on this thread one way or the other.

W

Wag

I don't have particularly strong feelings either way, but I do think they sometimes help to convey the tone of a post when it isn't obvious from the words. On the other hand you do get people who seem to like bunging them in at every available option.

D

David Bruce

Anyone using Lotus Notes will be familiar with the 'Mood stamps' you can use with messages. Things like 'Thank You', 'Urgent','Good Job', Joke, 'FYI' and many more all done with an appropriate graphic. Perhaps these or similar would be suitable.

D

Dave Rothery

i think its better to be taken out of context, and let the mayhem begin!

Tim Birch

Reaction score
I think use of any of these icons or mood stamps wouls seiously detriment the forum pages.
We have some very articulate discussions and emotions can easily be put down in the way sentences and paragraphs are constructed.
I believe a main attraction of the site is the down to earth feel of threads and these icons are just bells and whistles which will threaten the reality of the site and regular characters who use it...., interesting (or boring) point, how many users on this site believe they can attribute a character to people on the site, maybe think they can see what certain people are all about by the way they write , what they say and how they write (say) it.
Give us icons and this is all lost.

T

The Monk

Good point Carl,
believe it or not, I've occasionally been taken serious and offended the odd person? but from what I've seen on other sites they tend to get over-used and lose the plot

R

Rodney Wrestt

Misunderstood????you, I don't believe it....a man of the cloth as well.

S

Stuart Bullard

No, please no.

And with respect to Lotus Notes David, I suspect not many people are aware of it, after all they completely lost their market share didn't they?

Monk - never, I wouldn't have believed it!