Duck eating pike in the news

C

Cheese Paste

Theres a shot of Mick Brown pulling a duck out of a pike that he's caught. Anyone seen that picture? I think its a duck anyway. Anyone else caught a pike with something else in its mouth?

C

Cheese Paste

What the picture on the bottom left of the double page spread, looks like it has a beak and everything?

G

Gerry Castles

About four years ago, I was on the Gt. Ormesby Broad and as I arrived back at the jetty in the evening I noticed a few people watching someone poking around the jetty supports with an oar. When I took a look there was a pike about 18-20lb lying on the bottom with a coot firmly clamped in it's mouth and the guy with the oar was trying to 'pursuade' the fish to let go. I suggested that the duck was long beyond recovery and that perhaps they should let the fish get on with it's evening meal, shortly after the fish swam away still with the duck in its' mouth. I also had a day on the Yare last year with a certain
Mr Bettell when the pike were eating anything we put in the water and all day long we could hear cries from ducklings just inside the reed line which suggested that duck was well and truly on the menu. My view is that pike prefer to eat fish but on occasion will eat anything that swims in the water, since the Yare incident is not the first time I've experienced this phenomena, I would hazard a guess that this kind of behaviour is sometimes associated with a feeding frenzy which seems to trigger the whole pike population to go on the rampage.
(a bit like millwall supporters)

A

Andrew Miller

I had a similar experience on the Yare as well. I was watching what look like a hugh bream dorsal fin sailing toward me across the water. As It went under my boat I could see very clearly the coot in this pike mouth with it wing extended upward. I could even see the coot head with it beak moving. Fanastic sight, make the scene in Jaws look tame! ( I mean fanastic in the fact it was something I properbly never see again,,, not fanastic because of the coot!!)
Windy

C

Chris Bishop

A certain person from the Ely area of Cambridgeshire stunned pals a couple of years ago when he reeled in one of his deadbait rods at a fish-in and it was baited with a large dead mouse.

A

Andrew Miller

I am positive Richard walker or fred buller made a hugh lure from a dead rat found in one of their pike. Never knew if they ever caught on it
Windy

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
I once pulled a fully grown moorhen from the throat of a pike on the Yorks Ouse.

The pike weighed six pounds BEFORE pulling the bird out!

Eric

C

Chris Bishop

The rat plug was actually an artificial rat, it had a treble hanging from each of its legs. There's a pic in Buller's book of Fred J Taylor or someone from that era pulling a large rat out of a pike's gob.

chris hall

Reaction score
ive had pike take something unusual,well for me anyway.....
they have taken my deadbaits!!
and let me catch them.....once or twice...maybe....ish!

D

Dave O'L

I'm sure many have seen those photos in Faulks & Buller's book of pike that choked to death trying to swallow pike of near/equal size?

F

Fergal Scully

I found a couple of rats in the stomachs of different pike while doing autopsy's for the CFB and also a half digested tench that would have been 4 pounds when eaten inside a pike of about six pounds weight. These came from the grand canal in Co Kildare Ireland.

M

Mark Williams

It may have appeared elsewhere as well, but the rat lure and the rat-in-a-pike picture are in Buller's Rigs & Tackles, published in 1967. Gord Burton showed me a picture once of a coot being extracted from a double - surprisingly small bird once the feathers are soaked, I thought. And on a session with John Watson on Rockland Broad once, we were watching a moorhen with five chicks when there was a splash, and four chicks remained. Later on, there were only three....

A

albert watkinson

i dont know the first thing about pike but as a boy born in leigh lancs i have seen ducks dragged down on penninton flash.that is a long long while ago.