Groundbait

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I think this section is fantastic in helping beginners get to grips with their quest, but it also has its down side for beginners too. Daniel, to ask what is the best groundbait, or best rig or best boilie without asking why is going to unfold two dilemmas for you mate, firstly you may be ignored or bombarded with abrupt emails and two more importantly you are never going to move up to the next run on the ladder as you truly are not learning from your own efforts and mistakes etc. It’s like saying what are the best shares to buy on the stock market or what is the best horse to back at the races. The answer and the truth is: Depends on the day! It’s the same with fishing, you’ve got to take into considerations many aspects that surround you and feed them back through you’re brain and then put together the best method possible based on your findings and research and then hope lady luck plays her part too. Why do great anglers catch consistently, answer; experience, judgement and a large build-up of knowledge piled up through many years experience but more importantly and understanding.
You’re questions are simple to answer, but you’ve got to assimilate these answers to suit your dilemma, my advice would be to funnel your questions down and give account to yourself as to why you are asking them. This may be based on you’re surroundings, the fish within your venue or the condition of the lakebed. In questioning yourself as to why you are asking these questions can only help you understand the answers you will be given and in turn help you’re learning curve. At the end of the day, you need to understand what it is you wish to achieve and why you wish to achieve it, this will spur great thinking and inventive approaches when all around you may be failing.

I write with sincerity mate and hope you move forward with this advice, if not…..

Vitalin

T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

Stu your nickname after that essay must now be Vitalin!!

B

Birds Nest

Would you not consider Vitalin a bit filling for the winter Stu?

D

Dave Rothery

unless its highly stocked, i would use groundbait on a method type basis this time of year, though might use just a little mixed up quite sloppy to create a cloud

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Perhaps that was point Twainy, as I wouldn't use Vitalin any time of the year! Not on its own anyway. What I'm saying is that any answer will do, if its not all been thought out!

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Daniel, I think what Stu is trying to say is that you must first ask the questions that affect whether to fish groundbait at all in the first place.

Example things that you must consider.

What's the weather actually like?
How long has it been like it?
What size water is it?
What is the stock density of the water?
What are the average size of fish?

There are a load of others. Depending on the combination of answers to those questions will lead you to determine whether groundbait is even an option, let alone which groundbait to use.

There are no magic baits out there, only good ones that have a track record and on their day will catch fish if you put it in the right place at the right time. A good bait in the wrong place or used in the wrong situation will not catch you fish.

I can recommend a good few proprietry groundbaits that have a good track record, but if you use them wrongly you will blank nonetheless.