Worming

D

David Bruce

A topic in both trout and salmon fishing that seems to bring out the most opposit views and entrenched viewpoints not to mention , in my experience any way, the perpetuation of theories without any direct proof or experience.
What do I expect? A Hammer and and Tongs debate - but please don't get personal, just enjoy a robust debate

I

Ian Whittaker

Worm is a naturally occuring bait.
Sad that many seem to condone its use. Personally I think that spinning does more damage to salmon than shimp or worm.

A

Alan Roe

It is just another method and wholly approppriate in it's time and place.

It is not the methods or indeed the use of them that is ever the issue.

The thing that tends to get the blood boiling is the ethics and morals of some of the people that use them.

Sadly, as in all things, an otherwise perfectly acceptable method of taking game fish gets abused by fishmongering knuckle draggers.

This in turn tends to draw the almost inevitable over reaction from the controlling powers that be, whoever they are at that time. Great thunderings are duly heard emenating from the committee roooms and the result is that not only is the malefactor duly sentenced but the method he used is forever deemed as unsporting and is to be banished forever!!

As both worming and prawning are relatively easy to do it was inevitable that they would suffer from this form of condemnation
due to the antics of the aforementioned knuckle draggers!

The problem is that once these decisions to ban someting have been made it is very difficult to turn the clock back.

K

Keith Hacking

could not agree more. sadly there are people who spoil it for everyone.heard strong rumours that a lot of fishing clubs on the ribble want all bait fishing for salmon banned.due to greedy sods on the tidal part of the ribble taking too many fish on shrimps and worms.personaly i think strict bag limits on salmon kept would be a lot fairer and perhaps do as they do in southern ireland.ie ban the sale of all rod caught salmon,and issue say five tags with each licence which must be attached to each fish as soon as it is killed.i myself fish for salmon with all legal methods and i would not like to be restricted to just fly fishing and spinning.i like worm and shrimp fishing and would hate to lose them.

I

Ian Whittaker

Spot on Alan.
Hi Keith, there was a derogatory spat by "TOSH" in S&T about this "slaughter" on the tidal length of the ribble. We are talking about the same river?Most of the lads that I've met exercise regular catch & release .Many people look to the lower river when they are throwing bricks in their glass houses! I've heard that many of the old stagers on the upper river aren't too fussy what colour the fish are when they go in the bag.

K

Keith Hacking

hi ian.your probably right about this if youve witnessed it first hand.you get somebody complaining about things and do enough of it and a lot of people start believing it. its a good excuse for them to use when they are not catching.funny season last year all the rain just took the fish up river it was the 13th of september before i caught one.and i fished hard from mid june.they just wanted to breed i think. there were over 600 redds counted on upper ribble and streams of it.so we are not short of fish.hows the shrimping going.keith

I

Ian Whittaker

Hi Keith
Hadn't been after the salmon for 3 years-due to bad knee , f&m etc andI thought it was a good chance to leave the salmon alone .I personally had a great season, after 10 blanks though, but no really big fish, ironically this year I caught my first liced fish and to say how low the river has stayed very few coloured fish.
The only problem that I see is with ILLEGAL FISHERS who wouldn't abide by the rules anyway.

S

Stu Black

I've never caught a salmon (yet) but since I moved to Llangollen on the bank of the Dee, I've tried! (well last season anyway)

By all accounts it was a really difficult year, all summer we didn't have any significant rain, and the river was as low as most local people remember it. (Some of the really old folk talk about it practically drying up years and years ago.)

Anyway, we didnt have a really good rain until the middle of November and then the salmon were everywhere, just taking a quick stroll along and you'd see at least 1, usually 3 or more. Hopefully next year the weather will be more conducive to good salmon fishing and I'll get mine. We're allowed to use any tactics on the stretch once the salmon season starts. ;-)

K

Keith Hacking

yes this illegal fishing is a pain. only saw a bailiff once last year.he is good chap too but he has that much water to cover he can only do so much.trouble with the ea too many chiefs and not enough indians.i myself watch the bottom stretch of our fishing as i only live five minutes walk away.but it,s a thankless job,kids are the worst they just stand there and say what you gonna do about it.and really theres not a lot i can do. and they know it.

I

Ian Whittaker

Mobile phones are pretty handy if you're on your own patch for calling reinforcements, or even the local bobby. But you're right about the kids- they think they can't be touched.

K

Keith Hacking

and dont they know it.when i were a lad we used to leg it if we even saw somebody coming.doesnt happen now though.anyway back to the great worming debate.got side tracked again.sorry david

K

Keith Hacking

its a lot easy,er with a torch at night when its been raining.I did enough digging when i worked for the water board for twenty five years.seen enough of spades.

R

Ron Clay

I fish for fun and the most fun in trout fishing is catching a trout on a fly you have tied yourself.

I don't feel sorry for the worm caught trout, only for the angler who uses worms!

S

Stu Black

Good point Ron! I'm a beginner fly fisher, but enjoy tieing flies, and while I'm still pretty awful at it, I have caught on my own creations. I think the trout like the scruffy look.