Fishing on TV

A

Alan Fawcett

Hi All

Long time no post,

I was talking to one of the regulars at our fuel station last week the lady concerned works for the beeb & she told me the BBC wouldn't be interested in showing any angling (we got round to fishing because her husband is an angler) programs because there's not enough call for it & the heads of programing don't believe it would be viable as there's no call for it.

BUT....

I was informed that the head of BBC 2 is a woman & is usually open to ideas from the public/viewers but she will only pay attention to ideas for programs if they would be of interest to both male & female viewers (there's a growing number of women anglers)!!

After spending sometime mailing & phoning Dave Webster of maggotdrowning.com he kindly agreed to set up & also set aside some space on the website for a petition.

All i ask now is you pass this link on to as many anglers as you can, this is not about "hits" on a website but about getting angling back on terrestrial Tv where everyone can enjoy it. (webmasters/ site admin if possible could you please send the link out to all your registered members??)

There is a space on the petition for you to add your own "bit" no one will beable to see your name,address etc as they are sent directly to another page which is viewable to myself & Dave only.

As i have already said please pass this link onto as many people as you can & if you know an angler who hasn't got net access then please let them use your computer as it is really a case of the more the merrier.

Thanks for all the replies & for being so patient with me while this was all brought together.

The link for the petition is below.

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/petition/bbc.htm

Thanks again
Alan

A

Alan Fawcett

Cheers lads

Malc, are you still kipping in those pink bunny slippers....oops sorry i meant bivvy slippers!!

C

Chris Bishop

No demand for it... No imagination in mainstream broadcasting more like.

I used to think it needed someone with the vision of Barry Hearn (I think...), who transformed snooker from Pot Black (a frame in a half hour prog...) to the Crucible Theatre and turned Alex Higgins, Steve Davis and Terry Griffiths into housewives' heroes.

The same thing happened in darts.

John Wilson's Go Fishing is one of the longest-running and highest BARB-rated programmes on Anglia TV. JW started off with a prgramme about fishing the Wensum on Radio Norfolk 20-odd years back.

He's still one of the most recognised and popular Anglia TV presenters and his series is watched by just as many non-anglers who like the countryside and the guy's incredible screen presence.

TV series like this are nearly all independently-produced and maybe someone will spot the gap in the market sooner or later.

Of course, the way things are going, it's soon going to be feasible to do live webcasts of matches, fish-ins or even interesting days out with different anglers.

I don't mean someone there hacking liv reports on a laptop, but webcams and sound, with someone sitting up the bank in a van editing a live feed to a server.

In another five years' time, we'll probably take this for granted and be logging on to watch Graham and Gary chubbing on the Ribble, or Brummy Paul giving a few newbie pikers a trip out.

I'm sure it'll come.

A

Alan Fawcett

There's now over 130 names on the petition but i think we're still a long way off making any "impact" with the beeb so please if you know anyone who will sign the petition tell them about it.

A big thanks to all those who have already signed.

J

john conway

Just posted mine, the count was 190. Come on lads we need to get this into the 1,000s

A

Alan Fawcett

Hi John

Thanks for the support, we now have 250+ names on the petition but i fear we still have a long way to go.

How many of you have seen todays anglersmail??

Take a look at page 42 nice little letter in the blue box at the top

Now that to me is support.

Alan Bowles

Reaction score
BBC2 don't care about angling eh? odd that a passion for angling was commissioned and screened on bbc2. Also jack charlton had a series on there too ( the name escapes me ). I agree though a program which highlights women anglers would be of interest to the general public in a sort of "man bites dog" way.

K

Keith Hacking

there will probably be a satelite channel just on fishing one day.the french ,italiens,polish,and spain all ready have one thats on nearly all day till late.its a lot cheaper to put programs on digital sat.they can squeeze a lot moor on them.theres alot moor sats than sky up there if youve got the right gear.

A

Alan Fawcett

LOL cheers Richard, i can never get the links to work on here.

I did try on my original post but it just showed up as a typed word instead :eek:(

L

Les Clark

Come on you blokes, put your money where your mouth is, Richard has made it easy for you,what have you got to lose?

A

Alan Fawcett

Thanks to you all for the support & for taking the time to sign the petition.

As a few of you have said it's still got a long way to go yet though.

K

Kevan Busby

Been there done that. It's up to 297 now. Good idea but there are a lot of other angling websites out there with no mention of this link. Spread the word brothers and sisters..!!

E

Eric Hayes

I`ve signed the petition and also posted a thread on uk.rec.fishing.coarse with a link to the petition on maggotdrowners.com

Alan Bowles

Reaction score
i have tried but i can't get the link to work. Using works pc don't know why i can't get it.

M

michael hall

I have put the link on some other sites to try and get some more people to sign it!