Go forth and multiply

Beaker

Reaction score
I wonder do multipliers could have a bigger use in freshwater fishing.

I know they are used for lure fishing for pike,but could they be used instead of fixed spools for say distance fishing for carp,pike etc.

As a former sea beach angler I used multis for 99% of my angling and am sure 6500 size reels could easily be substituted in carp and pike angling if not other areas.

jcp01

Reaction score
Big pit reel = rebadged surf reel.

A 6500 (without level wind) will get a carp angler another twenty to thirty yards and an inbuilt bite alarm to boot.

The problem is that modern carp rods really are a kind of light beachcaster, but eyed for fixed spool reels only, the rod is just not going to work well for a multiplier that requires the eyes whipped much closer together so that the line does not touch the blank when the rod is pumped.

r1paul

Reaction score
Big pit reel = rebadged surf reel.

Spot on Rufus, but nothing new there .
If you are hard up or just not a tackle tart , there are some good deals out there .
I don`t know if this link will work but if not , it is a page of sea reels , all could be used has a carp reel but look at the prices , and the Shakespeare tidewater surl reel ,comes fully spooled up for silly money .:Dwww.tackleuk.co.uk/#index/cPath=98

Last edited: