Midges in Scotland

J

Jack Pike

Going to Scotland this year for our annual holidays and just wondering what month is the midge problem the worst

J

John McLaren

Can't tell you whether it's the worst but I was up in the Highlands in August a couple of years ago and it was bad.

M

Mark Frame

take a fly rod with you and put a midge pattern on and enjoy it

C

Chris Bishop

Wouldn't have thought a chap who's braved the Fens would worry about that...

J

Jack Pike

I may be brave Chris to fish the Fens in bad weather but not brave enough to sample to local fare at the Green Welly

D

Dave Silvers

I went in June a couple of years ago, around Fort William and didn't think the midge problem was bad, until we had a wet day followed by a sunny day and I decided to fish on the loch. I literally got eaten alive, after an hour I had to stop fishing and my face and the back of my hands were coverd in red blotches.
Used mossie spray after that even though its evil stuff.
Don't let it put you off though it's a brilliant place, I will definitely go back.

T

Trev Alderton

The b****y midges are very active from June to Sept, but I've found one of the best things to use is AVON's Skin-so-Soft(woodland glade) spray . It was tried by the Army up here and it works to keep the little b*****s off.

Trev

M

Mike Parker

We go to Scotland every year for a couple of weeks. June to Sept as has been said but the West coast is far worse than the Central/East. What you need is a breeze or a wind to keep them away! Tried skin so soft it does work but them thar midges get everywhere so for a family it works out quite expensive and if you have an argument with 'she who must be obeyed' you will get bitten in those unreachable places.
Oooooooooh I can feel them already, but then its a small price to pay for the best holiday location in the world!!!

T

The Monk

Got eaten alive last time I fished Loch Ken

try a rapists mask (ooops sorry ski mask) and a pair of glasses, it worked for me!

G

Geoff Cowen

If the midges get to bad try the East coast. My wife and I have been to Nairn on the Muray Firth a couple of time and have had no trouble at all with midges. Some good Salmon fishing to be had as well if you get a bit of rain up in the hills to get the river up.
You also get some great sunsets over the Black Isle; it’s worth the trip just for that.

I

Ian Whittaker

Trevor has it bang on with the "Avon" skin so soft! It really does the job.

Jack Pike/Chris Bishop ,I remember seeing an advert for the Green Welly Hotel in P&P is it a decent stopover place for anglers?

J

Jack Pike

Hi Ian I know peeps who stayed there it seems ok but a little basic but good prices was the general feedback. But I usually go camping when I go down to the Fens. Last year at the pike championship I stayed in a caravan with Tets and the gang from Yorkshire it was quite mad but fun.

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Ian,
The Green Welly is a top spot if you're cold and hungry, just don't look at what you're eating!

You can even book a seedy little room for the night if you don't fancy driving home.

If you make it there look out for an old white haired gentleman known as Clive. He's usually in there, and a chat to him is well worth while. He's a gold mine of info about the fens. Ask him about the history of the drains, it's fascinating! I reckon he's old enough to remember some of the Italian prisoners by name. (lol)

Regards Chris

C

Chris Bishop

Ian, I've heard it's cheap and cheerful and angler-friendly.

The number one priority is make sure they've got somewhere secure to store your kit - it sometimes gets nicked from cars up here.

I

Ian Whittaker

Thanks chaps, I really must get down to the Fens- its one place I've never been.

J

Jack Pike

Well in Chatteris there a quite few fellers with white hair and some with pink eyes

J

Jack Pike

Ok we have decided on going to Loch Ken on a nice looking campsite has anyone fished on the Ken?

M

Mark Frame

go to the chemist and buy citronella oil it keeps everything away and you dont smell like a chemical toilet either that works for me

G

Geoff Cowen

I planned a trip their last year but never maid it. The loch is good for Pike, Perch and Roach. You need to fish at very long range for the Roach. The pike are plentiful and go up to about 25lb although much bigger fish have been caught in the distant past.
Post a thread on the predator section, I bet you get lots of info.