Roving the river

S

Shrek

I've been thinking about this for a long time. I currently use a Daiwa carryall when I go roving a river and all tackle, bait and goodies go in there however, as is the way of all things that you use too much, it has worn out and needs replacing. I'm now wondering what to get.

I've looked at the same again, but I really want something more manageable and comfortable to carry. I've read a couple of the reviews on roving rucksacks and wondered how people actually got on with them. Then there is the thought of getting a "wilson Wanderers Waistcoat" or similar and just putting everything I need into that. Then something else struck me, has anyone ever used, or though of using, army webbing with a couple of pouches on it to carry everything in. Looking at them they seem to be more accessible than a rucksack as all pockets would be at the front and they'd also have more space than a waistcoat.

Any thoughts, for or against, would be appreciated and, if anyone has or still is using this, how do you get on with it?

Thanks,

Adrian.

P

Phil Heaton

Maybe a valid reason (mine anyway) against webbing or belt based carrying devices, is that when wearing layers of clothes and a waterproof you feel 'trussed up like a turkey'.
A simple shoulder bag or small rucksack from the army surplus stores is more than adequate, or if you feel the need Fox and the like do a similar thing with a posh badge, at much more cost.
Beware, if you get a big bag you will be obliged to fill it, 'just in case' and after a few outings be considering a wheeled transporter.....I was there.

C

Cheese Paste

I've been using a Fox Royal Rover rucksack for 2 years that I originally bought 2nd hand. The product itself is of the ususal Fox high quality. But I've just bought a Daiwa holdall from WMAC for just 19.99. It holds 50 litres, perfect for my chubbing.

I did find that the rucksack was awkward to put on everytime and that the main compartment was a pain to open, with the fasteners being virtually underneath. The zips being a bit tough to do up sometimes too. I prefer my Daiwa bag, it has one shoulder strap and access to the main compartment is easy. The size of it too stops me from putting too much in, as its not too big or too small.

S

Shrek

50 litres is still pretty big though. I would have thought that something around the 20 to 30 litre size would be adequate, otherwise I would have thought you get into the trap that Phil mentions?

D

Davy North

I've just ditched my rucksack for a small trout bag,This is just for bait and flask. as Phil says if you have a big bag you'll fill it. Other odds and ends I put in my waistcoat, however it's not a proper fishing waistcoat they seem too small and tight fitting, the one I use came from a camping shop has something like 12 pockets, big enough to go over winter woolies,and loose and cool in the summer. Beat of all it coat about ?24.

J

John McLaren

If you need to take a fair amount of gear the 35 ltr rover-type rucksacks are pretty good (Fishrite do one) but I have recently got hold of a Fox Stalker bucket (Badger also market a similar item) and for a short session walking the bank, or even for a day making forays up and down the river with the car as a base, it is absolutely ideal.

S

Stuart Johnson

I recently got a Fox stalker rucker and its a nice bit of kit. I have used waistcoats in the past and you can stuff a lot gear in the pockets etc. But I fell in once wearing a waistcoat and I can tell you it was not a pleasant expierence, the weight was amazing and I dread to think what would have happened if the river was in flood and belting through. Since that day I've always used a small rucker.

E

EC

One thing you do need to consider Adrian is if you need to keep anything dry, eg a camera. I bought a Sundridge stalker deluxe rucksack from the Derby Angling Centre. Its big enough for a flask, food and bait and has a mat attached which you can even sit on, and is a top piece of gear for the price (?30).

Previously I had relied on an open type bag from Double T which is a good piece of kit with a removable hemp bucket but the pocket didnt stand up to serious downpours.

I bought my waistcoat from Argos, which I think cost about ?15, this suffices for bits and pieces, but I will second what some of the other lads have said about taking too much with you! The amount of gear you end up carrying if you arent careful is foolish! I removed over 20 feeders, 30 odd leads, and loads of other bits and pieces from that waistcoat last month that had just accumulated in its pockets. Now I keep all those bits in a bucket in the car boot!

D

Dave Johnson

mmmmm,roving,tip rod,landing net,loaf of bread,ledgers and packet of hooks in your pocket,chair over shoulder....what else do you need?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I use a 35 litre Karrimior rucksack. I've had it about 7 years and it's still going strong.

I need the full 35 litres because I carry the usual small fox box (with tackle bits), tub of leads & feeders, bait, scales, weigh sling, spare spools but most problematic is the clothing. The clothing takes up so much room despite the fact that I use the best technical, and therefore lightweight, gear I can afford.

I also often find myself at a peg with bits spread all over the bank.

I'm considering getting a similar size rucksack but one that has more external pockets so that I can keep things tidy and organized.

I've not seen anything suitable on the fishing tackle market so I suspect I'll have to look for something designed for climbing or whatever.

Dave, it's all very well carying the minimum of gear but what if a swim requires different tackle, such as a float set-up, or feeders? I imagine you must get caught short occasionally. I know it's happened to me too many times!

D

Dave Johnson

" I imagine you must get caught short occasionally."normally have that with me Matt...its a non detachable Johnson.My top pocket has severalloafers and a tub of shotif I need it....but normally,short roving river sessions are on a water I know well,and on pegs Iknowrespond to the tip.

F

Fred Bonney

I've moved to very basic gear,in the jacket,just like Dave,it's to easy to put the'just in case'items in a carryall.

D

darryl rogers

i`ve got a jrc combie rucksack and use the top as a carryyall work`s a treat for the roving up and down on the river the rucksack come`s in handey for over night stay`s

P

Phil Hatton

I just bought one of the small Shakespeare Cypry rucksacks,it fits my tackle,bait,food and clothing with no fuss.Come summer I use an old trout bag,had it for years and it's the mutts'.

A

Andy Nellist

I use a fox stalker bucket which cost around ?27 to hold my bait, camera, drink and some bits and bobs of tackle. Everything else like scales, head torch, fleece hat etc. are kept in my suit.

If you carry as little as possible and avoid taking a chair and brolly you will cover a lot more water.

Alan Bowles

Reaction score
I can't really add much to what the other guys have said. All i will say is avoid waistcoasts. From experience it is a pain to use clothing as a carryall.It is a real pain when you get hot to take it off and lug it about. Some how when you're not wearing it its not quite so easy to lug about. and those pockets aren't as handy as when its on.

P

Phil Heaton

Car boot sales are a good source of 5 litre white plastic buckets with tight fitting lids, mine cost ?1 each. These do hold a suprising amount of tackle, will keep it dry and safe if it falls down a bank, it also doubles as a basic seat.
I remember seeing either Mick Brown or Matt Hayes using one on a television programme, with small vertical cuts around the top and a lure was inserted by the end treble in each of the cuts, other bits and pieces were in the bottom of the bucket.

S

Shrek

Thanks guys, that's definitely given me something to aid my decision.

I'll let you know what I eventually decide on.

A :))

D

David Bruce

A cheap light and effective seat.
A newspaper(insulation - got to look after these nether regions)inside a bin bag (waterproofing).
Weighs nought, you can read the paper when having a break and the bag can be used to take away any litter (all to often found on the bank)
Only drawback I've found is - put it on a frosty bank and sit on it - you head downhill for the river at great speed!!!!!

J

John McLaren

Alan Bowles says "avoid waistcoats" but I have to disagree, a lightweight cotton waistcoat is generally comfortable to wear whatever the weather and it is much simpler to keep hooks and bits in the pockets that scratching around in the bottom of an overfilled bag. The important thing, whatever you use, is to minimise the tackle you carry - but sometimes that's a lot easier said than done.