Cold feet

J

Jim Hinchley

Wots the best ideas for keeping my feet warm whilst wearing my waders ? Im happy in my skeetex boots but dont like wearing them whilst river fishing. I prefer my neoprene waders which mean i can go anywhere reasonably safely and cleanly.
However even with 3 pairs of socks including a thermal pair i still get really cold feet.
Anybody got any helpful ideas on how to keep my feet warmer ?

And yes i have tried the skeetex liners in the waders but they just wont fit.

Ta jim

T

Terry Comerford

Jim, one inch upholstery foam, cut to shape and pushed into the feet of your waders gives just enough insulation without being too bulky.
Upholstery suppliers and markets are your best places to buy.
Get the blue coloured foam, its better quality and lasts longer.

G

Gerry Castles

I'm surprised that you have a problem with neoprene boots. I wear mine more or less everywhere and all year apart from very warm days. I wear neoprene bootees inside the boot in the winter along with thermal socks and that seems to do the trick both on the bank and on the boat. I don't think yuo can take the neoprene boots any further Jim, there is a limited amount of room. Try an Army surplus supplier and find out what the army recommends, they might be able to sort you out.

P

Paul Williams

The three pairs of socks could be the problem?.....if they make everything tight then your feet will never build up heat....i only need one pair of quality socks from a mountaneer shop with neoprenes as a rule.

Alan Bowles

Reaction score
Yep stick with the neoprene socks and foam insoles . Failing that weapons grade plutonium insoles available from saddams bait and tackle.

J

Jim Hinchley

Thanks for the help guys.

I will get some foam for insoles and purchase some neoprene socks.

Any recommendations for neoprene socks ???? or are they all much the same ?

J

John Pleasance

Electric socks?......not a joke,they are available.

Insulated waders are also available or at least they were,cos I've got a pair,they are not as warm as moonboots but pretty good on all but the very coldest days.They work on the same system as moonboots with a foam liner, but without the thick boot sole.

T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

Paul is right. Too many pairs of socks will prevent circulation of blood properly and prevent circulation of warm air. You would be better off with thin pairs of socks.

M

Mike Parker

if you must, electric socks are available from good motorcyclist clothing suppliers but you would need a rucksack to carry the battery!
I use 'Seal skinz' and dont suffer too much but there again 'I'm a martyr to the cause'