Why do you prefer rivers over stillwaters?

preston96

Reaction score
I love either, and canals!........depends on my mood.

stravic

Reaction score
Lakes for certain species in summer,rivers for certain species in winter plus lakes in winter do not usually fish that well.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It all depends on the species targeted. Be it river or still water the more peacefull the better. I'd prefer to sit in a quiet spot and catch little or nothing at all than sit on a commercial and bag up.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Rivers for some of the year, stillwaters for the rest.

I think you have to be able to fish all kinds of waters.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I love them all, although living closer to a canal, this is where I fish most often.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I love the solitude of rivers, the noises of nature, the woodpigeons cooing is synonymous with river fishing I always think, the birds that come for your maggots, just the being there in in fact. I do fish pools and used to do a lot of canal fishing in my match days though I concentrated mainly on rivers but rivers was my first love and still is .

audi49

Reaction score
I like rivers because of their noise, the gentle gurgling of them is hard to beat. I also think that they are the most beautiful environments, lakes may look pretty, but in my opinion rivers, and river the fish associated with them, Salmon, Trout, Grayling, Dace, chub, barbel and roach are the most beautiful of the fishes, perfectly adapted for life in flowing water. I also like they're changing nature and individual characters.

quickcedo

Reaction score
And I thought I was the only romantic old fart on here. This thread has nearly brought me to tears.

phil level

Reaction score
Well played John ;) Personally I like large lakes and Rivers water has always fascinated me and just being near or around it is a pleasure. It's the mystery and not knowing what's going to come to you from your line that keeps me coming back.Plus just being out there does it all for me.:D :D

Rickrod

Reaction score
I like watching the river flowing by in a nice over grown swim

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
In my younger day's, it was rivers, especially weirpools. But that's indicative of the species I was after I suppose, Barbel and Chub. Rivers always seem alive, and have many moods to master. Now I've come full circle, back to where it all started, ''canals''.

dezza

Reaction score
River, Canal, Stillwater; each have their charms. I love the sort of small lake where you approach it through dense woodland in June with the pigeons cooing and the dark smooth oily water fizzing with tench bubbles.

I hate the commercial water ringed with wooden stages and half a hundred pole holders all doing the same thing.

I like canals, especially those which a partially derelict which have lilies and rushes.....and big roach.

I like big wild reservoirs holding grown on rainbows which fight like bonefish as well as bespotted mysterious fry chomping brown trout. I like casting a dry fly or midge pupa imitation that sinks slowly and then the line pulls tight with that indescribable staccatto drag that feels like a mild electric shock!

And then there are the rivers, big or small they are wonderful places to be.

I like all waters that don't look too artificial.

Last edited: